R. C.'s Reviews > Calm and Compassionate Children: A Handbook

Calm and Compassionate Children by Susan Usha Dermond

Jun 24, 09

Read in June, 2009

I hate reviewing parenting books because the results of applying any philosophy of parenting are always a bit iffy even when the kids seem to be good. When will we know if the ideas in this book worked? When my kids are dead, if some brilliant person (with access to the archived internet of 2009) biographizes them. And who wants to think about the likelihood of seeing that day? Not me.

So I'll have to review this against all the other books like it.

The author is respectful of and awed not just by children but by the human being, coming from a strongly spiritual perspective. It's definitely a heart-out approach to raising good people. It's all about how to preserve and empower your kid's soul.

Her book includes all the behavior management ideas you'll find in other non-punitive discipline books, plus a few I had seen rumors about on the fringes of the internet. She doesn't write prescriptions for those immediate situations where most parents would punish. Her suggested activities are pro-active, not reactionary. It's in her anecdotes that she reveals the attitude she takes when she has to do-something-because-that-is-not-okay, and I think her spirit comes through these tales and is just as instructive as the lists of activities at the end of each chapter. She weaves together the spirit of her childrearing approach and the feet of it with clarity and a deft teacher's hands.

The author is inspiring and has a gift for bringing gentle parenting out of the clouds. Read this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Calm and Compassionate Children.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 2: by Julie (new)

Julie Suzanne I look forward to your review of this; I'm interested, too.

message 1: by Susan (new)

Susan Dermond wow. thanks, Rose