Cathy 's Reviews > Beg For Mercy

Beg For Mercy by Toni Andrews

Dec 20, 09

bookshelves: ebook-read, animals, dogs, fantasy, magic-users, paranormal, read-in-2009, urban, ebook-owned
Recommended to Cathy by: Keri Arthur
Read in December, 2009

It opened and ended a bit better than the middle, but overall I liked it a lot. It's quite a fast read, with some dark themes but not the kind you can't let go of when you put the book down. The middle really dragged while Mercy was investigating. Everyone having to tell her the whole truth without hesitation didn't leave much room for intrigue. Yes, she had to think of the right questions and find people to question, but it was pretty dull. What redeemed it was the way the various characters Mercy meets during this section come together to form a Scooby Gang to help Mercy and Sukey. Only in a book, movie or TV show would that cast of characters work together that well, but they're a fun group. Add Fred, Mercy's cat, and the dog that comes in later and you have a great set-up for book 2.

Another good character was Sam, Mercy's love interest. Definitely the kind of guy readers can't resist, with great looks, confidence and a sense of sweetness to go with the package. I didn't really buy Mercy and his instant connection after she'd spent her whole life holding people off from getting too close and not had a boyfriend for years. It was more romance novel than urban fantasy. But I like Sam and it's not that big a deal. Also, I expect some secrets from his past to surface in the next book. For a guy who hates secrets he sure performed well in a dangerous situation and had some suspicious moves. I'm betting money that he was really a Navy SEAL or something before moving to town. That's not a spoiler, just a guess from the hints. Let me know what you guys think.

There were also a few moments that left me scratching my head, like when Mercy's friend Sukey doesn't come to work or call all day after the bad guy threatened to hurt her friends and Mercy never even once wonders if she's ok. Yes, Sukey had mentioned she might spend the day out of town with a friend, but wouldn't you want to check? Although I have to admit that Mercy wasn't aware that she was the star of a novel and wasn't expecting the complications I was. But it seemed like an obvious move that was ignored to get the plot going.

Anyway, things really picked up once the action kicked in and it was a great run to the finish. I liked Mercy and her gang a lot and am looking forward to the next book. Which I'll probably be starting in just a few minutes. That's a good sign, right?
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beg For Mercy.

12/19/2009 page 65
20.63% "Very fast read so far. Sam seems great, love Fred cat. Not much of a sense of Mercy yet, but that seems deliberate." 1 comment
12/20/2009 page 150
47.62% "Very fast read."
12/20/2009 page 170
53.97% "Not sure it's fun when she can get answers out of everyone so easily. Too good a gimmick? But she does have to find them."