Megan Palasik's Reviews > The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer, My Life at Rose Red

The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer, My Life at Rose Red by Joyce Reardon

Oct 27, 11

bookshelves: audio-book
Read from October 24 to 27, 2011

I just finished listening to this book. I read the paperback a few years ago and after watching the movie Rose Red a couple of weeks ago, I had to reread the diary.

I really liked this book. As I was listening to it this second time, I was thinking I might bump my rating down to 4 stars because at times the diary entries are a bit tedious and uninteresting. However, when you look at the book and the movie as an entire entity, I think, on a whole it's genius!

I love that the movie is portrayed as a documentary. Sure, it's still a movie and not really all that believable. Then you read this diary/book and there are "notes from the editor" with a website listed. You can even look up the website and the page works (none of the subsequent pages work, but the fact that someone took the time to set up the initial page I think is great!).

The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer is essentially a prequel to the movie Rose Red (which was originally a TV mini-series by Stephen King). Which should you experience first, the book or the movie? I honestly don't think it matters. Both bring interesting pieces and details to the story, but I don't think either one really *ruins* the outcome.

The diary is *written* over the course of about 20 years from just before Ellen Rimbauer marries John, during their honeymoon abroad, and throughout their years together, for better or for worse, living in Rose Red. The language seems consistent with the time and reads smoothly.

The reader of the audio version did a good job.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer, My Life at Rose Red.