Megan Palasik's Reviews > The Thirteenth Tale

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

Sep 07, 10

bookshelves: historical-fiction, own
Read from July 19 to September 06, 2010

Excellent book! It took me a while to get through this book as life got in the way of my reading :) However, this story was unique and beautiful.

This is the story of a character's mysterious biography. There are two narrators; the biographer and the biographee :) The biographee is a writer herself and has never let anyone know the truth of her life's story.

I'm sure others have already given a synopsis of the story, so I'll spare you the repetition. This is a story that keeps the reader guessing at what will happen next. Characters weave in and out of the story in such a way that you never know what is going to happen next. Setterfield has a beautiful way of writing that I can't quite describe what I loved about it. She gives details, but not so many that you get lost in the details and forget the story. The characters are wonderfully written and you can get lost in them and their stories.

I was drawn to this book because of the cover art (I know, I know, but I am a lover of books and can't help myself), the idea of a mysterious biography, the promise of ghosts (which the story isn't nearly as *ghostly* as one would think from the back cover) and reviews by others. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys a good fictional story, especially historical fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thirteenth Tale.

07/22/2010 page 40