Kim's Reviews > The Ladies Auxiliary

1947347
Jun 08, 09

bookshelves: book-club-reads
Read in June, 2009

This was an interesting book. Although it is set in a small town Jewish community I think it is a book any girl can relate to. When I was a young girl I always thought that there might be a magical age that I would turn when I would suddenly know everything and also suddenly be able to set my immaturity behind and stop complaining about things, stop wining about how life isn't fair, stop comparing myself to others, and become a responsible adult. Now that I am a "little" older I know that there is no change of age...just a change of heart; whether you are 10, 20, or 80 years old, even in a small town Jewish community.

A story I liked in this book explains gossip. A woman went to her rabbi to find out how she could fix something she said about someone. He said to get a feather pillow, cut it open and empty it out the window. She did and the feathers landed all over the place, on houses, gardens, trees, and were able to travel pretty far. She went back and he explained that that this was like gossip, it would be impossible to pick up all of the feathers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ladies Auxiliary.