Matt's Reviews > The Crying of Lot 49

The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon

Feb 09, 10

bookshelves: favorites
Read in June, 2009, read count: 1

I really enjoyed this. More than I expected. It had elements of mystery and history and conspiracy, and Pynchon wraps it all together with his bizarre ensemble of characters and his weaving, philosophizing and mesmerizing sentences.

In many ways, plot and character-wise, it reminded me of John Kennedy Toole's A Confederacy of Dunces. It also made me think of Kurt Vonnegut and Tom Robbins.

A great read. Makes me want to read more of his stuff. (I own Vineland and had previously read a short story or two. The opening chapter very much reminded me of his story "Entropy" from Slow Learner, with all of its characteristic insanity and bumbling craziness.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Crying of Lot 49.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan (new) - added it

Dan Beatty I'm adding that book to my 'to read' list per your recommendation. I've got 10 there now with the 4 that I'm reading---actually I found Seven Summits by Dick Bass amongst my things not to long ago and didn't remember reading it but it recently came to me that I had read the whole thing---but I might read it again so onto my 'to read' list it goes--I'm glad to keep that list because I know that those books are all highly recommended and so I don't lose track of them. Dad

Matt Thanks Dad. I do the same thing--love to get book recommendations from people. Just got a couple today!

message 3: by Dan (new) - added it

Dan Beatty by the way, I saw an 'R' rated movie two nights ago---The Hurt Locker---quite a movie. It was R rated for violence and some F words, but it was really done and acted well. Did you see it?? Actually, Susan rented it,from the library, and she, Heather and I watched it at Heathers. I had a hard time to stop thinking about it. I don't know, I think I would vote for it for best picture.

Matt I've been wanting to see that. It sweeped the Golden Globes, won best picture and is the frontrunner for the Oscar as well. I'll see it soon, and let you know!