Jen's Reviews > Forever

Forever by Pete Hamill

Jun 08, 09

Read in May, 2009

I've been going through a homesick sort of thing lately and this book was like a drug. It's historical fiction that charts the history of New York City from circa 1740 through 2001 as lived and experienced by one main character. (You'll have to suspend your disbelief regarding the necessary fantasy element of this because the book itself is wonderful).

The author, Pete Hamill, is impressive in his dedication to providing endless historically accurate details about the city he adores (this is especially powerful if the reader (me) happens to adore it too), while still maintaining an interesting plot. A main character who is almost three centuries old surely has all of the depth and development I could ever require.

P.S. In addition to writing fabulous books, Hamill's been the editor-in-chief of the Post and the Daily News. In my world, this gives him extra street cred.

P.S.S. Hamill gets bonus points for mentioning my high school in a number of his books. For some reason, this never fails to make me momentarily giddy.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forever.