Anne's Reviews > Gaudy Night

Gaudy Night by Dorothy L. Sayers

Sep 11, 07

Read in September, 2007

This is the 2nd Dorothy Sayers book I have read and I must say I am completely in love with her writing. On top of the intriguing plot which is fun to follow, you are treated to witty dialogue, some fascinating relationships between all kinds of people, and best of all, in this book, some of the most bitingly real observations about the value of work and marriage, and about academia vs the 'real world'. I can't gush enough about this author, and I am guessing this will be my favorite book because of the academic-woman theme.

It's hard to believe it was written in the 30's because the commentary is still largely relevant, and in any event funny to hear stated outright. You might be a bit put off by the acidity of the main character, especially towards the beginning of the book, but stick with it: she becomes more sympathetic as the book goes on and anyway, there is no rule that a character has to be entirely likable, only that she rings true.

Favorite quotes: (after the main character finishes chatting with a woman who left school to become a hardworking farm wife): "She parted eventually from Mrs. Bendick with a depressed feeling that she had seen a Derby winner making shift with a coal-cart." And later on in the book, one of the women concludes: "I suppose one oughtn't to marry anybody, unless one's prepared to make him a full-time job."

This is in my top five favorite books of all time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gaudy Night.