Alan's Reviews > Juliet, Naked

Juliet, Naked by Nick Hornby

Jun 15, 09

Read in June, 2009

I hope my reviewing abilities are better than Duncan's!

Among many things he does in this book, Nick Hornby captures the experience of midlife very well. I particularly like his observation that life is a series of ongoing story lines that never really end. There is very little punctuation in one's life's narrative. Certainly there are few periods, only lots of commas. All of the transitions and resolutions that seem to punctuate your life only serve, in the end, to connect you to your past. But despite that, you will probably go on making the same mistakes. This seems especially true during the transition commonly called the midlife crisis. The book captures this through three different characters in different ways. And he captures so many aspects of this so well, including parenting, sex and relationships, career, artistic talent, and family ties.

The jacket blurb describes the novel as "quintessential Hornby" and this seems to be the case. There are countless lines that bear repeated quoting, humor, keen insights, true emotion and universally indentifable characters.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Juliet, Naked.