Robert's Reviews > River of Death

Jun 08, 2009

did not like it
bookshelves: espionage-thriller
Read in July, 2009

I am working on giving a second chance to authors that I read during my school years and disliked, possibly because they were too demanding for me at the time.

One such author was Grahame Green; I started something and gave up on it, which is a rare occurrence for me. Last year I read Our Man in Havana and was thoroughly entertained - I have since acquired a copy of Brighton Rock which is patiently awaiting my attention.

Alistair MacLean was another writer who I tried and gave up on. Upon encountering a couple of reprints in my local bookstore, I though I'd give him his second chance. 'Twas awful.

The prose starts off terribly florid but fortunately does not stay that way for long. Soon the reader is whisked along a story in which everybody is unpleasant, every incident is a cliche and so is every character. The book has two merits: it's fast paced and short.

Ach y fi!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read River of Death.

08/18/2016 marked as: read

Ellen (Elf TajMuttHall) Finch Robert, some of MacLean's books are outstanding--you happened to pick one of his worst, and this one is really bad. If you want to try again, I'd recommend Night Without End or Ice Station Zebra. The Guns of Navarone and Where Eagles Dare are pretty good although with a couple of glaring plot holes, still, good reads.

Chinmay Hota Ice Station Zebra. The Guns of Navarone and Where Eagles Dare have been immortalized by way of legendary movies.
I have also read The Golden Gate during college days.