mrjasonedward's Reviews > Wild Magic

Wild Magic by Tamora Pierce

Jun 08, 09

Read in January, 2008

Wouldn't it be fun if you could talk to animals? What would you say? What would they say? Better yet, what if you could become an animal? How would it feel if you had the body of a hawk, but you still had your mind? That would be cool. You'd have the keen eyesight of the bird and the ability to fly. What if you could be a wolf? You'd have such a strong sense of smell. What instincts would you feel pulling on you? What would it feel like?

I have loved animals my whole life and I feel a strong connection with them. Animals have always kind of liked me and even generally mean animals will be quite gentle around me. I like to think that animals are a good judge of character and that they know when you are a good person (though they can also smell fear and weakness). Maybe I'm just crazy. I talk to animals as if they were people. My favourite horse out in Jerudong likes that a lot. She is always excited to see me and she'll even nuzzle her face up against my chest as I pet her - it's like she's asking for a hug. It's so weird. Her neck is so soft, but she likes it best when I scratch behind her ears. Horses are amazing! I wish I'd appreciated them more when I had them. My cat, Cha-cha is a lot like a person. He does NOT like to be ignored. When I go out every morning I have to remove him from the hood of my car because he is determined to get at least 30 seconds of my time before I head to work. It's hard to ignore a cat when he is staring in the windshield at you. He's one cool cat with personality plus and a wicked attitude if you do something that annoys him. He's great.

Anyway, last year I came across Tamora Pierce's Immortals Series. If you enjoy the myth-science fiction stuff like Narnia (or the more sophisticated Lord of the Rings), then you should be able to get something out of Wild Magic. Even if you aren't into that type of book, but you like animals, you will still really enjoy it. When I read the book jacket, the idea that a thirteen-year-old girl would discover the magical ability to become animals really caught my attention.

Pierce creates an interesting world and it is fun to join Daine's journey as she discovers her magical abilities. I highly recommend Wild Magic. Read the set in order, though. You'll enjoy them more that way. I donated the entire set to the Reading Room and there are also some older copies in there so you should have a good chance of getting a hold of one. Look under "P" for Pierce.
BTW, I really like the cover art. Isn't it great? It looks so much nicer than the older versions.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild Magic.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Irisjade (new) - added it

Irisjade I really like animals too and think they're more like people than we like to admit. Lol, my cat Noche sounds a lot like yours. He kind of acts like all cool and stuff but if you make him mad, lol, he has such an attitude. It's hard to describe but he has such personality. Anyway, I thought this book sounded pretty cool but I was worried it would sounds childish and immature but I think I might actually like it..

mrjasonedward Hi Irisjade,

I think you WILL like it. Pierce loses the focus a bit in the last book, but I still enjoyed them all. I still think the idea of being able to change into animals is a fun premise for a book. In this last book (I think) she changes into a bird and I felt that was probably the coolest thing!

Jason