Robin's Reviews > Nyphron Rising

Nyphron Rising by Michael J. Sullivan

Nov 07, 09

bookshelves: fantasy, favorites, fun-read, good-read-author
Read in September, 2009

For me, this is an interesting book in the series. I think the real genius of this edition is what I call the "slow burn" of Arista's character. Many people have poo-pooed Arista because she has twice been the "girl trapped in the tower" waiting for a man to rescue her. But part of that was setting her up so she could go through a metamorphis as she starts to come into her own.

I personally always liked Arista. I think too many people took her for granted in The Crown Conspiracy. Afterall it was her who took the initative to have her brother kidnapped which ultimately led to the saving of Melengar.

She's always been bright and capable but now in Nyphron Rising we start to see that she's going to be a "player" as the series develops.

The other cool thing about this book is Thrace/Modina. When I read Avempartha I thought she was a "one hit character" and would not be continuing in the series or play a very minor role but in Nyphron there is no doubt that she too is going to have a lot in the second half of the book.

Lastly...I would like to point out some of my favorite scenes:
1 - When Hadrian and Royce are trapped in the well. I still smile reading it no matter how many times I re-read it.

2 - Arista drunk at the Bakers spilling the beans about who she really is. I can really "picture that happening.

3 - The scene at the Rose and Thorn where Royce gets Hadrian to come on board for one last mission. I was wondering how he was going to convince him to go - and the solution was graceful - sometimes keeping things simple is the best way to go. I thought it was very believeable.

Robin (The Crown Conspiracy | Avempartha | Nyphron Rising)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nyphron Rising.

06/08/2009 page 10

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Proud Book Nerd I cannot wait to read this! :-)