Cara's Reviews > Catching Fire

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Jul 14, 14

bookshelves: science-fiction, series, favorites, awesome-covers
Read in October, 2009

This is most possibly the WORST (or best depending what you go on) cliffhanger I have encountered in all my reading days. It leaves you more than just hanging, you are grasping for your life on a thread that is fraying and there is nothing to do but hold on (well metaphorically of course).

One word that can sum up this book is intense . Everything is just felt more. The compassion, threats, action, betrayal, gestures, words all of it. This has to be the reason why it is so addictive. As expected from this series we are in for a ride. Some things are hinted out, but the full affect of what is going on isn't totally revealed till the very end. Though I felt frustrated at times this is a grand slam of a sequel.

You know it's hard to hate Katniss for being the object of the whole love triangle. I usually get annoyed to no end and can't help wonder what people see in the person, but Katniss is different. Though you don't think that Katniss is particularly more special than others, but that is part of what you admire about her. Plus she is critical of herself so you don't necessarily get a good feel of what people think about her other than what is said with dialogue. I totally love this because frankly that is what it's like in real life. It's others that can show you who you really are when you aren't able to do it yourself. Peeta and Gale are both incredible guys and what makes them so great is that they both are good friends , something that is lacking in other books at times. Don't get me wrong there is a lot more to the series than the love triangle. Suzanne Collins gives us a lot to mull over till her much anticipated final climatic book Mockingjay.

BTW Excellent Excellent covers!!!

Later added: For those of you who didn't know there is a movie coming out for the first book The Hunger Games! Here is the link to the trailer. Now just to wait for the second movie trailer...and the second trailer has arrived! Click here to view it. I got the chills guys.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catching Fire.

Quotes Cara Liked

Suzanne Collins
“So it's you and a syringe against the Capitol? See, this is why no one lets you make the plans.”
Suzanne Collins, Catching Fire

Suzanne Collins
“What about you?"

"Not a clue. I keep wishing I could bake a cake or something.”
Suzanne Collins, Catching Fire

09/23/2009 "When I got home this was in the mail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I. AM. SO. EXCITED! " 11 comments
09/28/2009 page 56
14.32% "Finally got some pages in!"
10/01/2009 page 318
81.33% "I can't see how things are gonna work out, but that's probably the point. This is complete good torture!I'll just have to keep reading."
10/01/2009 page 391
100.0% "It's very cruel that the third book is not out already!!!" 2 comments

Victoria Congratulations Cara!! :D I'm happy for you, I remember how excited I was when it came in at the library. Enjoy it to the fullest (which isn't hard, it's a fantastic book), and let us all know what you think!!

Cara Thank you! I was getting so giddy when I saw I got this from the library. Can't wait to read those reviews after I finish:) I'm pretty sure I'll think it's awesome !!!

Valerie Hey now, it came in the mail for me. What makes you think you can get first dibs?

Cara Hmmm..... I'll think of something to witty! Just wait....

Valerie Waiting...

Cara Uhhh... because I'm older? and AHA I told you to put a hold on it!

Tori Yay!! That was awesome sooo how I felt. I don't wanna wait for the other one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
~T

Cara I know what torture is this!?! We don't even know the name of the next one. I totally was frustrated like I said but in a good way. It's hard to not feel like Katniss does. You really get her you know? She is so real and the guys (swoon) are both sooooooo great. So really I did think it was UH-MAH-ZING!!!

Tori I know right?!? This sucks!!! I agree with you completely you're the smart. I think katniss should get one of the guys and I should get the other one. But that's me. I love everything about it though. Especially the guys. I want the next one!!!!!!!!!!

message 10: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara Yeah that would totally workout though it might be kind of tricky with him being in a book and all:D Tell me if you hear when the next book comes out;)

message 11: by Tori (last edited Oct 03, 2009 06:53AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tori ... Yeah okay. Fictional character and all. I will!! I'll tell you right away!! I'm going tohnt for it every day until I find it.

message 12: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara Don't get me wrong if you can make it work with a fictional guy go for it! I know I would! *dreamy eyes* Good I'll be hunting too:)

message 13: by Tori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tori Oh man. I would have soo many options. Well, If they wanted me. HUNT!!

message 14: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara There are so many good ones aren't there? *wistful look* Still no luck:(

message 15: by Tori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tori So many... I know!! I checked here and her site and online. No luck. :( I really want the name!! Okay, and the book.

message 16: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara Sigh I know! Well one of these days it will be announced. Hopefully soooner rather than later!

message 17: by Tori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tori Yeah. Like now.

message 18: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara Yeah we are in total agreement! It's just gonna be too long and watch when the book does come out I'll be the last one to read. At least I know you'll get your hands on a copy fast knowing you:)

message 19: by Tori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tori Yeah, that's also why I'm so broke. I think I should wait a little longer. I'd probably have more money. But yeah. I want it now! I'm soo psyched for it!!!

message 20: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara Well see when the time comes if you can restrain yourself from buying it!

message 21: by Tori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tori I probably won't be able to. I also need to buy 2 more books tomorrow or I'll die. I will�. I'm gonna buy the next morganville one the day it comes out too. Those books might be the death of me. I have no self control. :(

message 22: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara Do what I do, I shield myself from even going near the area where books are at or most of the time it's easy and I don't have the money. Or just don't carry it around but hence I know you're gonna buy it anyways:)

message 23: by Tori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tori I can't help myself. :( And I don't have money either. :( I make my mom pay and. Pay her back.

message 24: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara I got a gift card to Barnes & Nobles! So yes I can spend some on books. This is sooooooooooo exciting. Just ask for some of those on your b-day.

message 25: by Tori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tori Aww, lucky. Why'd you get it? And I should. So far all I've asked for is a laptop and an iPod.

message 26: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara My friend gave it to me for helping her out with math:)She's awesome! A laptop and ipod would be awesome as well though I doubt I could get that because we all share a laptop and an ipod. It's really ok though and I remember how you said that Scully died and that your itouch was acting funny so I can see why you would ask for that.

message 27: by Tori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tori Aww, that was really sweet of her. :) I should help people with stuff, maybe they'll give me that too.my friend just tested me for a good book recommendation. :) yay. I really want them. Actually, my mom already bought me a laptop, but she wants to give it to me for christmas so she's pretending she hasn't gotten me one yet. Apparently she doesn't know you can see what you have won on eBay, and that I know the password. I'll pretend to be surprised though. :D

message 28: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara Oh that is so good of you Tori. You should probably practice that surprised look:o something along those lines! My parents are pretty good though. One year the gave me an MP3 (way back when) and I was totally shocked because they kept talking about how it wasnt' gonna happen and they didn't think it was necessary. They totally fooled me. But at least you know you mom thought of you. *Gush* I know I get easily cheesy and sappy:) I'll get over it soon promise.

message 29: by Tori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tori Oh man I love when they do that. You're lucky too. The day I got scully for Christmas was the best day ever. :( I'm gonna miss her. No it's cool. Take your time. :)

message 30: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara Thanks:D :D :D I will.

message 31: by Tori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tori :D
~T

Michelle No, I think the Worst ending is from Tempted (The House of Night series)

message 33: by Cara (last edited Nov 12, 2009 04:47PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara I wouldn't know (haven't read the series), but you gotta admit this one is pretty high up there in being almost unbearable to take! We are gonna have to wait waaaaay too long for the sequel. Just thinking about it makes me excited:D

message 34: by Tori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tori Me too! And don't ruin the ending for me! I'm still reading tempted. :)

message 35: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara I'm pretty sure she won't Tori:) I know I get all giddy just thinking about what might happen next but at least of got all those other books to take up the time and enjoy too. Well (cross fingers) hopefully that I'll enjoy.

message 36: by Tori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tori I know!!! We still don't even know the name of the next book!!! I'm sure you'll enjoy them. There aren't many books we don't enjoy.

message 37: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara So True!:D

message 38: by Tori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tori :D

message 39: by H.I. (new) - rated it 4 stars

H.I. Al-Muhairi I know how annoying it is! I loved the book just as well and what you're saying about Katniss is very true.

She's just like a real person. She's not perfect--far from it, and sometimes I feel like she doesn't deserve Peeta's love (he's so sweet~ he's my fav of the two guys) but I still like her. I don't why but this also happens in real life. We love/like people that are filled with faults in real life.

There's no Bella or Edward (they don't have faults but flaws in their personalities--courtesy of the author) here.

message 40: by Cara (last edited Feb 20, 2010 10:50PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara Thank goodness Bella and Edward aren't in sight;) I'm really torn between the guys. I love them both. I'd probably be having a hard time to, to tell you the truth. She's known Gale forever and they have all those years but on the other hand Katniss has that deep experience of the Hunger Games with Peeta. I'm glad she kind of doesn't like the attention and really can't focus on it too much because of what is happening around them that is much bigger. I want it to be out already!

message 41: by H.I. (new) - rated it 4 stars

H.I. Al-Muhairi :P yeah...it's gonna be a long 6 months~

message 42: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara ....I know:(

Aerodriguez I toally agree with your review

message 44: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara Thanks;)

Kimberly I would so totally skip ahead to august just so i can read mockingjay i watched click the movie with adam sandler and he preety much convinced me at a time i dont want to skip a head in my my life but i would make an exeption. i hope so much she chooses peeta I know she has gale to but for me there is no compition hands down katniss is peeta's and he already dedicated his love for her and like she admitted he has no compassionate family they need each other she is peeta's air i will throw the book at the wall if Peeta dies or she marries gale. 3 more months 3 long depressing eternal months gah!!!!!! I CAN NOT TAKE THIS ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 46: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara Hahaha I've actually have watched that movie too. I am just itching to read this too! I actually love both of these guys. No matter who she choses I'll be sad for the other one. I do actually think Collins will have Katniss end up with Peeta because that's how most people want it but you never know... I'm of course interested with who she ends up with but I'm just combusting with curiosity to see how they are going to take down the Capitol. It should be awesome and epic:D Man like you said it's gonna be a long wait.

Sophia712 SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i dont know about any one else, but i think the last line means one of two things. they either bombed it and its litteraly "gone" or district 12 is ACTUALLY district 13... what do you think?

message 48: by Cara (last edited May 19, 2010 05:02AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara DO NOT READ COMMENT IF YOU HAVEN'T READ CATCHING FIRE
Hmmmm.... I actually hadn't thought about district 12 actually being 13. At least for me, I think, they flattened district 12 to oblivion and the people who did escape actually found the legendary and thought to be lost district 13. This is what I thought when I finished, but we'll see a couple of months from now how it went done but that's what I got from the ending.

Aerodriguez The third book "mockingjay" comes out august 24th and in 2011 a movie is coming out for hunger games

message 50: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara Yeah I know very cool:) The movie talk has been going on for awhile, but I don't think they have picked out the people yet or maybe they have I haven't kept up with it. I doubt the movie will do the book justice but I'll proabably go watch it anyways:D

« previous 1 3