K.D. Absolutely's Reviews > The Great Gatsby

liked it
bookshelves: 1001-core, 501, love-story, saddest
Recommended to K.D. by: 501 Must Read Books; Time 100 Greatest Novels
Read in June, 2009 , read count: 1

I understand that this is one of the required readings in high school and even some colleges in the USA. This is probably is the main reason why this novel is included in almost all lists of the Best American Novels ever. If am not saying that it is not good but I was not as amazed as when I read the other popular American classic, The Grapes of Wrath of John Steinbeck (which is not at the top of those lists) in February of this year. Maybe I am not an American and too young to relate to the Jazz Age (the roaring 20’s) where most Americans – the baby boomers - were prosperous as it was in between the two world wars and it was before the Great Depression in the 30’s.

This is basically a tragic love story between Gatsby and Daisy. He constructed the huge palatial house for Daisy whose family rejected him because he was not rich. After retiring from the army (first World War) he got rich because of big time illegal activities such as fixing games, drugs, etc. However, before he saw Daisy again, she had already married John Buchanan (whom she loved but not as much as the love she had for Gatsby). John, however was keeping a mistress Mrytle who had a simpleton unsuspecting husband. Later this husband killed Gatsby because John told him that Gatsby is his wife’s lover who accidentally ran over her.

This book was first publish in 1925 and said to be the basis of many other love stories. For example, the house that Noah built for his mistress in Nicholas Spark’s The Notebook is basically copied from this classic novel. The syndicate-with-a-heart theme of The Godfather series should have been loosely based on this too.

The famous narrative style used by Fitzgerald is noteworthy although not altogether remarkable. It is as if he was just there beside you telling the story that happened almost a century ago. It felt like a legend though there were no fairies, gnomes nor giants. The green light at the end of Daisy wharf has a poetic tone although of course I am not sure what it is all about nor what it signifies.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Gatsby.

Leigh (Little Book Star) Ah yes, I have to start reading this asap because my high school requires it. Great review!

K.D. Absolutely Thanks, Leigh! Good luck!

message 3: by Mark John (new)

Mark John sounds interesting. Sana ito nalang po ang ipa book report sa amin sa 4th yr HS. Kuya K.D ano po ba ang pinakamagandang book na karaniwang pinapabook report sa mga HS dto sa Philippines?

Miranda Kerr-bloom malabong ipa book report sa inyo yan. american classic yan eh.

K.D. Absolutely Macoy, wala akong ideya. Depende yata sa school. Sa STC kung saan grumadwayt ang anak ko last year, alam ko nagbasa sila ng Lazaro Francisco, Shakespeare, Divine Comedy bukod pa sa El Fili noong 4th year.

message 6: by Quo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Quo Greetings, I don't think one has to be a certain age or of a particular ethnicity to value this book highly but one does have to step back a few paces & to know something about the time & place in which it was written. It would also help to know something about the author & his own life & background. Consider it a clash of cultures book or at the least a book about the differing ways that people strive to define themselves. If you reread "Gatsby" in 10 years, it will seem a different book. Will the novel have changed or will you have changed?
Keep reading....

K.D. Absolutely Quo wrote: "Greetings, I don't think one has to be a certain age or of a particular ethnicity to value this book highly but one does have to step back a few paces & to know something about the time & place in..."

I agree. I think I should reread this especially after my elder brother said it was awesome!