Bob's Reviews > A Case of Redemption

A Case of Redemption by Adam Mitzner

M_50x66
Apr 16, 13

Read from April 11 to 16, 2013

****Stars -- A Very Good -- But Not As Good -- Follow-Up To Mitzner's A Conflict Of Interest!

I received an ARC of this book from Net Galley and the publisher in return for an honest review, which follows.

Adam Mitzner, in his second legal thriller, has a delivered (to use a baseball term) a solid extra base hit. Please don't let my stating that while A Case Of Redemption is very good but not as good as his first legal thriller dissuade you in any way from strongly considering reading A Case Of Redemption. It might help you to know that I considered A Conflict Of Interest to be one of the top 4-5 books I read in the year it was published (2011), and so my considering Mitzner's second book to be very good but not to the same extent is still high praise for this very talented author.

A Case Of Redemption shares many of the same qualities I felt were characteristic of A Conflict Of Interest: 1) excellent pacing, which starts off slow and steadily builds to a level that will have you turning the pages to find out what happens next; 2) creating highly realistic flawed, yet sympathetic, characters; 3) providing such true-to-life prose that makes you feel you are actually hearing the characters speaking their words; 4) having the main character, Dan Sorenson, narrate the story in such a way that you forget you are reading a book and not right there with him as he is experiencing his professional and personal life; and 5) providing some interesting plot twists.

My reason for giving A Case For Redemption a four-star rating (whereas I gave A Conflict Of Interest a five-star rating) stems from my feeling that the ending, while satisfactory (to say the least), didn't pack as powerful a punch and left some threads untied. My assumption for this is that Mitzner will be featuring his main character, Dan Sorenson, in his next book and will tie some of these loose threads together more fully at that time.

I'll conclude by saying that A Case Of Redemption, which has a once high-powered defense attorney trying to resurrect his personal and professional life -- after being on a downward spiral for the past eighteen months due to a terrible accident in which his wife and child were killed -- by coming to the defense of a rapper accused of murdering his pop star girlfriend, deserves a large reading audience. I hope you enjoy this book as much as I did. Even if you don't enjoy it quite as much, I think you'll still consider it to be a very good book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Case of Redemption.

04/11/2013