Tim Morris's Reviews > The Hole in Our Gospel: What Does God Expect of Us? the Answer That Changed My Life and Might Just Change the World

The Hole in Our Gospel by Richard Stearns

Jun 15, 09

I love how Stearns' honesty permeates this book. His life-long grappling over taking care of the poor mixed with his own rags-to-riches story and reluctance to serve in ministry captured my heart-- not to mention the staggering statistics of how the wealthiest Christians in the world (us) are one of the lowest givers in the world toward the poor. American churches (as a whole) give less than 2% of their annual income (which is made up of tithes from less than 2% of their congregation). Although the Bible mentions giving to the needy more than any other subject- it's the most overlooked in our society.

Often I think I am a little absolved from giving to the needy because by our government's standards I am only slightly above poverty- but the world statistic is that if your household makes over 25k a year, you are richer than 90% of the world.

Please read this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hole in Our Gospel.