Anna's Reviews > Among Schoolchildren

Among Schoolchildren by Tracy Kidder

Sep 07, 07

bookshelves: nonfiction, education-and-teaching, urban-affairs
Recommended for: teachers, educators, sociologists, city planners
Read in July, 2007

I loved this book! First of all, it's one of the most interestingly written pieces I've ever read.

The author is a third-party (journalist) that observes a veteran teacher in Holyoke, Massachusetts over the course of an entire school year during the 1980s. Although Holyoke is smaller than many larger urban areas, the social and economic problems that are captured and described in this book totally resonate today. The social/racial issues that the author describes translate very well even today, particularly in urban school districts. Anyone that cares about cities and education in urban areas has to appreciate the detailed descriptions featured in this book.

The teacher, Mrs. Zajac, definitely makes some mistakes, but she is portrayed as such a "real" character that it's hard not to identify with her. As a teacher in an urban school district, I found this book to be very helpful and insightful. I highly recommend this to book to teachers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Among Schoolchildren.