Leah's Reviews > Perdido Street Station

Perdido Street Station by China Miéville

Jun 07, 09

Read in May, 2009

When I was introduced to Miéville's work via King Rat what I realize now was lo! many years ago, I loved it. And I still do. But I was told that I needed to read Perdido Street Station to really appreciate Mieville; I bought it, and it kept getting pushed aside.

Wish I'd read it sooner, just so I would have known of it sooner. I was blown away by many aspects of the book. It was suspenseful and outright scary, the characters were engaging, and the world was incredibly well-constructed. The divides between the cultures, their definitions of art and morality... just a really fascinating world full of complex people being controlled by a system that cannot seem to process compexity. Also, of course, stolen dreams: scary!

Weird, perhaps, but I *am* after all a Victorianist with decided political views that one might say are rooted in that period's politcial thought: my all-time favorite part of the book is the 10 pages about the strike at the docks and the government crackdown on the strikers and the other subversives. That's some of the best prose I've ever read.

Looking forward now to The Scar (and Iron Council) but perhaps most of all to the short story in Looking for Jake that will tell me more about Jack Half-a-Prayer. Also very much looking forward to The City and the City: detective fiction AND a title that makes me think about Raymond Williams.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Perdido Street Station.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Catherine Siemann Told you so. ;-) If the political aspect grabbed you the hardest, then you might find Iron Council less disappointing than many readers did.

I so want to reread this one. Someday I'll dig through the tbr stacks sufficiently to justify rereading favorites again . . .