Becky's Reviews > The God of Small Things

Jun 07, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: 1001-list-books
Read in June, 2009

I think the God Of Small Things suffers from my having read quite a few books about a similar time, similar place, and similar amounts of inter class/family intrigue. It's beautifully written and interestingly constructed, jumping around through the lives of the two twins the novel centres on. The twins were split up when they were children, after a dramatic series of events that are slowly revealed through their behaviour and memories as adults, the slow destruction of everyone involved, and the actual events of the terrible days it was contained in.

Despite this it failed to really move me in the way that other novels have. I desperately wanted it to, but something remained stuck. Maybe because it describes a life and culture that is so distant to my own, that I find it difficult to identify with some of the morals that are the root cause of the distress. Maybe it's just because I was in bed with a bizarre 24 hour illness when I read it, and just couldn't get it!

Still, the prose is beautiful and very evocative of life in this era, bringing to mind vivid colours, smells and sights that are totally foreign to a pasty Brit. Worth a read, but not as enthralling as I had expected from the awards it received.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The God of Small Things.

12/29/2016 marked as: read