Claire S's Reviews > The Septembers of Shiraz

The Septembers of Shiraz by Dalia Sofer

Wow, highly recommend this.

Great works resemble diamonds (one of the main characters is a jeweler) - when opened, they sparkle with intact brilliance multiplied.

This book is like that. As I progressed through it, I developed a perception of each character presented as a sympathetic, very human character. Not-so-great thinks and insecurities and inadequacies about each one were revealed, but my feelings for each of them were simply deepened. At the end, no character was on a pedestal, no character was a monster. All had done/were both good and bad. All had been accessible, opened through great writing for the reader's understanding.

The author, Dalia, had experienced much of what the girl in this story did (and, by the way, her character was probably the most shocking to me, with her internal goings-on - at her age - completely undoing me.) Her father has also been imprisoned, her family had also left Iran after. But it is also fiction, the best kind of fiction: fiction rooted in the writer's reality.

This book's effects on me include: a warm feeling for the country of Iran; interest in reading Iranian writers; somewhat of an (understanding) of those who gained power during that period, and others in similar positions; a need to process a bunch of new class-struggle ideas; a new resolve to always be gentle to those who are here from elsewhere, given what all they may have gone through; and an intense interest in everything this woman has written!

Now, in June 2009, extremely timely. And from this book and others, I imagine it will remain timely, one way or another.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Septembers of Shiraz.

06/10/2009 page 40
11.76% "Pretty early on, and pretty horrifying/tedious (combination itself being also terrible), like though. Exciting w/ elections right now!"
06/22/2009 page 142
41.76% ".. gently, quietly, sweetly, almost ... brutally dehumaninzing."
06/25/2009 page 216
63.53% "The terrible has started. And then, on this page, the beloved Shahnameh, Ferdowsi's Book of Kings; an edition created with 250 paintings."
06/25/2009 page 252
74.12% "And: 'A man has a right to want to live', paying the regime for his freedom, knowing others might die as a result."
show 1 hidden update…