Marika Gillis's Reviews > Lucky

bookshelves: memoirs-auto-biographies
Recommended to Marika by: Shannon
Recommended for: Danica, Shera, Erin, Andie
Read in June, 2009

"In the tunnel where I was raped, a tunnel that was once an underground entry to an amphitheater, a place where actors burst forth from underneath the seats of a crowd, a girl had been murdered and dismembered. I was told this story by the police. In comparison, they said, I was lucky."

It is with this sentence that Alice Sebold begins to tell the true story of her sexual assault as a freshman on the Syracuse University campus. Sebold writes frankly about her rape and beating, the affect it had on her friendships, family members, and relationships, her chance encounter with her rapist less than a year later, and how it led to his subsequent trial and prosecution.

Sebold unfolds her story with a candid bluntness, hiding nothing. She chronicles her fading friendships, the involvement of her bewildering parents, and, most importantly, her own experiences dealing with the anger, grief, and confusion she felt about her traumatic experience. The book is sad and scary but Sebold obviously understands the importance of opening her rape experience to the world by telling her story, and I'm sure her book will help comfort and heal other rape victims and their loved ones while simultaneously shedding light on the unfair indignities that occur to victims after a rape or assault.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lucky.