Judith Yeabsley's Reviews > People of the Book

People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks

F 50x66
Jun 06, 2009

liked it

I'm confused as to how to review this. It started slowly and I almost bailed. If it wasn't for the fact that it was G.Brooks and was so well researched and written I would have done. As it's theme is the history of a Jewish prayer book much of the story also discusses harrowing historical events and I wasn't prepared for it to be as depressing as it became in parts. It is a cleverly constructed book as each person having an impact on the Haggadah has a chapter or two and their lives and era are portrayed. However, this also results in a series of short stories which I find frustrating as I've just become immersed and it comes to an abrupt end. Then halfway through the book it became more engaging and more interesting and the mutilple threads started to be pulled together and I became gripped. It's a rating 2 in parts and a 6 in others !!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read People of the Book.

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann I have not tried this one -- and you have not convinced me to try!!!
However, I did read a couple of others of hers -- "A Year of Living Wonder" -- which was about the village in Derbyshire (England) which cut itself off to avoid spreading the plague. This was a great book.

I also read "Nine Parts of Desire: The Secret World of Muslim Women" -- which was harder going -- and you see Brooks in full research journalistic force. She is a meticulous researcher -- but at times this detail can become overwhelming and you can lose track of the points she is trying to make.

Judith Yeabsley I would read it but it's not a suck you in easy read like Year of Wonders. March was probably between the two in terms of excellence and readability !