Mairi's Reviews > Relic

Relic by Douglas Preston

Jan 01, 08

bookshelves: re-read
Read in January, 2008

01 Jan 08, early: There are, of course, major differences from the movie and some of them had become interchanged in my head. It is still much, much better than the movie. Amusingly, people don't usually interact with me when I read on the bus. (Notable exception was the WWII conspiracy theorist who went on and on over A Man Called Intrepid.) This book, however, inspired three people to talk to me on three different busses on one day: one who'd seen the movie and wanted to know more; one who'd read the book and wanted to compliment me on my selection; and one who just wanted to know more because it looked neat. My rating of it doesn't change. I still enjoyed it a great deal and it was very nice to see some of the Pendergast back-story that has become common knowledge since then in its early stages.

30 Dec 07: This is the first book involving Special Agent Pendergast. He's a secondary character in this one and my impression of him is much stronger from the later works. I want to go back and revisit his introduction. In addition, it's been so long since I've read it that I want to ensure that any recommendations I make are realistic and not based on false memories of the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Relic.