Hallie's Reviews > White Time

liked it
bookshelves: kids-books
Recommended for: Audrey
Read in June, 2009

I read Black Juice by this author and loved it, so I was excited to discover another collection of her short stories. It's good, but none of the stories stuck with me the way a few of the stories from Black Juice did. One thing I especially approve of in her writing is that she doesn't waste any time on exposition. The reader is dumped "in medias res" and left to figure out when and where he is (not always an obvious task, since she likes to play with alternate realities/magical realism/etc.). Some short story authors waste precious space setting you up; Lanagan seems to have enough confidence in her writing and her readers that she deems it unnecessary. Her character development, especially given the constraints of length, is very good; I was sad to leave them at the end of a few pages and was always left wanting more. Same with the plots; each one gives a glimpse of a world that seems fully developed and quite interesting enough for an entire book. I'm excited to get my hands on one of her novels. The consistently weak point in these short stories, in my opinion, was the ending. I found them abrupt and inconclusive, but you could always argue that that's a valid style choice. Who knows. In any case, in general, Lanagan is a very talented author and will likely be appearing on my list again in future.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read White Time.