Jeff's Reviews > The Very Busy Spider

The Very Busy Spider by Eric Carle

Jun 06, 09

bookshelves: picture-books

This is probably one of my favorite Eric Carle books. Generally his artwork isn't my thing. Usually, the way that the text is layed out on the page with the style of his art is more annoying than pleasurable. I'm thinking of stories like The Grouchy Ladybug or The Very Hungry Catepillar where there is simply too many word that get into the way of a mediocre story line and art that tries too hard to be clever.

The Very Busy Spider is a different story. It is simple, like Brown Bear Brown Bear, with art that really builds on itself.

It probably helps that this book was a perfect connection to our lives. It is the story of a spider spinning her web on a farm. A week or so before getting the book at the library, our family visited a polyculture grass farm with cows, pigs, chickens, geese, ducks, bees, and sheep. So our two-year-old daughter had some experience with each of the animals that comes to bother the spider as she works. In addition, the month of May was bug month at her preschool, and they studied spiders. A definite winner!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Very Busy Spider.