Miamienne's Reviews > How I Became a Famous Novelist

How I Became a Famous Novelist by Steve Hely

Jun 15, 09

Read in June, 2009

BRILLIANT. Grab it.

A novelist (Steve Hely) writing about a novelist (Pete Tarslaw) writing his memoir. This book has the laugh out loud humor of a Jim Carrey movie and Diablo Cody's eye for detail (who hasn't met the Radiohead crazed guy?). The quick pace of this book along with its numerous fictional book excerpts (there's even a fictional New York Times bestseller list!) show Hely really is a good writer.

Pete Tarslaw is a 29 yr-old underachiever stuck in a dead-end writing job at EssayAides who would routinely "stare out the window and think about how I got here." An email invite to his ex-girlfriend's wedding sends Tarslaw into a frenzy to become a famous novelist for no other reason than to show off at the wedding. Pete Tarslaw has an overactive imagination ("Polly would win. The whole event... it wouldn't just be a wedding. It would be a celebration of how Polly defeated me.") and an abundance of cynicism ("Give people what they want. If they want this crap, fine. You got it.") to go with it.

Hely's dead-on character development takes the reader on Pete's crazy roller coaster ride from loserville (sandwich boy, EssayAides writer) to quick fame/notoriety (Tarslaw's controversial interview and public showdown with another bestselling author) to another success (a memoir about his fame, no less). If you ever groaned about the Oprah Book Club choices or wondered why popular writers court controversy, you'll love Pete Tarslaw's journey. There is never a dull moment. This is one of the few books that ties everything together seamlessly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How I Became a Famous Novelist.

06/06/2009 page 1