mark's Reviews > Going Green: True Tales from Gleaners, Scavengers, and Dumpster Divers

Going Green by Laura Pritchett

Jun 09, 09

bookshelves: nonfiction
Read in June, 2009

Going Green: True tales from Gleaners, Scavengers, and Dumpster Divers (2009) is an anthology, created and edited by a friend/author whose writing I like a lot. So this isn't easy. Some of the essays in this book brought water to my eyes and others, well ... reeked. My complaint is best summed up by quoting from one of the better essays: "... the simplicity of my life at home started to look like loneliness, and its independence snobbery." (pg. 200) So honest! A lot of that lonely, self-importance, and snobbery comes through in many of the essays; and frankly, gives credence to the voices on the other side of the environmental debate. In addition, much of the writing is overdone, and I got so tired of reading the word "gleaned" - I don't think I'll ever again be able to use it in a sentence, written or spoken. That being said - the good essays are well worth the price of the book, and I think it merits a place on all bookshelves.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Going Green.