Pam's Reviews > Planet Google: One Company's Audacious Plan To Organize Everything We Know

Planet Google by Randall E. Stross

197742
Jun 06, 09

Read in June, 2009

I was afraid to read this book because I CANNOT stop reading a book once I start - so if it is tedious and full of technobabble then I am stuck with it. Pleasantly, this book is neither tedious (it moves along at a good pace) or full of technobabble (as I am not a programmer or DBA, I don't get warm fuzzies by reading computer jargon).

I DO interface with Google on a daily basis - Gmail, google maps and Grandpa Google, the search engine, are good friends of mine. Gone are the days when I would spend all day at work in the lab trying to remember which Beatles album "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite" was on (Sgt Pepper's). I also have been able to save HOURS finding contact info and citation using google in my work.
I have alot of respect for Google's endeavors and how they go about reaching their goals. The book isn't a idolization - it tells you where they have dropped the ball and where they will have to watch their step - but filled in many interesting details of how Google works and when it doesn't why not.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Planet Google.