Jenn's Reviews > Seeking Peace: Chronicles of the Worst Buddhist in the World

Seeking Peace by Mary Pipher

Jun 19, 09

bookshelves: 2009, spirit
Read in June, 2009

I read a lot of this book feeling like I was "waiting for the good part"—I'm not sure whether that says more about me or about the book, but the later chapters about Pipher's recovery resonated the most with me. I can understand that she needed to lay out her family history and her own history as a way of understanding how she came to be where she was, and to bring home her own emphasis on family at the end, but the early chapters felt like a rote recitation to me, and like a fulfillment of something she mentions later in the book:
Even if I could recall certain events, I felt no emotions about them. I could describe what happened, but I described it as if I were reading from a dictionary.

The sections on recovery, spiritual connectedness, self-acceptance, and mindfulness are inspiring and filled with a lot of beauty, and I savored them—I love the way she talks about the natural world and the pleasures and rewards of simple moments, and her idea of "happiness contests" with friends on dreary or stressful days.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seeking Peace.

06/06/2009 page 37