Jake's Reviews > Foundation

1995871
Aug 04, 09

bookshelves: science-fiction, fiction
Read in May, 2007

Chief Recommendation: If you are going to read Foundation, commit to reading the trilogy (includes Foundation and Empire and Second Foundation ).

Foundation wasn't a quick read for me. When I get a hankering for Sci-fi, I usually ere on the side of simple and straightforward. Foundation is a book with deep, layered ideas. And it is set so far in the future, and so far out in space, that it doesn’t offer many familiar trappings (for example, Earth). What is more, Asimov's narrative rarely hits you over the head. The high-stakes drama, the fascinating philosophy, the ethical dilemmas must be unraveled over the course of many chapters (and centuries worth of plot).

I enjoyed Foundation, but it wasn’t a quick or easy read. Plus it never really develops a fast pace. This is a book where I read a chapter, then paced around my apartment asking myself what the heck it meant to the overall plot. And that is why I recommend a new reader commit to reading the whole trilogy. Once you grasp Asimov’s key themes and allegories, the storyline becomes fascinating. These books require patience, but they provide great pay off to those who read closely. I expect to reread, and get even more out of the series again someday.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Foundation.