Cam's Reviews > The Broken Shore. Peter Temple

The Broken Shore. Peter Temple by Peter Temple

Jun 27, 09

Read in June, 2009

I love a good crime thriller, and this is better than your average good. I know I have a connection & I know, I know many of the locations mentioned in the book & that his lead character Joe Cashin - in 'The Broken Shore' has two huge black poodles & every morning Mon - Fri they scare the absolute crap out of my Son & I on our morning walk to school (they have built in stealth (the neighbour & I have discussed) & never hit you at the same point of the fence line). So yes lots of funny connections, but on a more serious note this book won what's deemed as the most coveted award internationally for best crime novel 'The Duncan Lawrie Dagger'. Awarded books & myself usually don't hit it off all that much of recent but this is an exception. It is very Australian very Victorian (the State not the era), but I think the personalities & humour are universally appealing. The second of which is not far from release.
The plot is your standard - somebody dies that shouldn't and you have to follow the story till the coppa catches the who & the why. However the writing and character development was far & above standard. I really enjoyed this & can't wait till the next. Would have given it 4 1/2 stars but can't so it gets 4 with a half for the dogs held over with their stealth like abilities.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Broken Shore. Peter Temple.

06/19/2009 page 58
06/27/2009 page 352
88.0% 4 comments
show 9 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

readinghearts (Lyn M) Hey Cam - I put this book on my to read list because it was recommended by one of my favorite mystery authors, Laurie King. It was interesting to read your review. Now I want to read it twice as much, so that I can both be a part of your life (as my sister said) in a some small way, and can enjoy a book that one of my favorite authors enjoyed.

message 2: by Cam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cam Isn't that a huge coincidence, must be meant to read it then Lyn. Most of the book is not based where I live but it's not far away about an hours & a half's drive, but little things like he mentions in passing a place called Lakeside - which is the name of the old pschiatric hospital that used to be here. Many of the original buildings remain & are magnificent homes now, but much of it was torn down to make way for a new housing estate. - added bit of trivia is that even in summer the builders refused to stay very late as they believed the site was haunted and many a tradie refused to work the site at all. (got nothing to do with the book of course but then neither does two black poodles scaring me half to death every morning).

readinghearts (Lyn M) I ordered this from my library, and it is there. I went to pick it up today, but the library was closed for the 4th of July weekend. BooHoo. I love trivia about books like that which you told me about Lakeside. It makes it is fun to know some things about the author/area, it's another connection.

message 4: by Cam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cam Of course it's your big weekend over there, happy Independence Day! Hope you enjoy the reading of it Lyn, when you do end up getting your hands on it. And hope you don't blink when it comes to the Lakeside reference. - it does enhance the reading though doesn't it, knowing all sorts of tidbits.