Mel's Reviews > Magic Bites

Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews

Jun 06, 2009

liked it
Read in October, 2009

In this first book of the Kate Daniels series we are introduced to a near future where the world (we get to see Atlanta) alternates between 'tech' and 'magic'. The authors' world is original and quite different from what we're used to (vampires are not sexy!).

The heroine is likable and, even though we don't really get to know her as readers, she does show an occasional vulnerable side. There is quite some mystery surrounding her and it's hinted there is way more than meets the eye when it comes to Kate Daniels.

The secondary characters also sparked my interest, especially his Highness the Beast Lord, Curran. On other boards the names Kate & Curran have been frequently named as being a 'hot couple'. This first book hints of sparks between the couple but nothing majors happens yet. It looks like their relationship (if we can call it that) is going to slowly evolve, which will add to the credibility. Slow but deliberate tension, I like :)

I had a few peeves though. Despite elaborate descriptions of the surroundings, the world itself is hard to understand in the beginning. I couldn't keep up with it all: the Guild, the Order, the People, the Pack, what?!?!
What really bugged me was the editing. Or rather: lack of it. There were some minor and some major continuity mistakes. It distracts from an otherwise good story.

All in all: likable characters, an engaging plot, set in a new and original world. A decent first book in what promises to be an exciting series, 3,5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic Bites.

10/07/2009 page 22
8.46% "Waiting for the story to pick up..."

Comments (showing 1-11)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 11: by Matthew (new) - added it

Matthew is there a love triangle in this series?

message 10: by Mel (last edited Jun 15, 2010 10:57PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel I have only read the first one, but I don't believe there was one. Actually: I'm pretty sure there isn't one.
If you ever need to read a book with a love triangle for a challenge or something, let me know cause I know the best one.

message 9: by Matthew (new) - added it

Matthew Hmm I heard from a review that the plot/paranormal is exceptional in this series?

message 8: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel This is a very good series. Many friends whose opinion I trust love it.

message 7: by K. (new)

K. Wow Mel! This is the most "positive spin" on what seems like a lackluster read I've every read! Your "review" skills just might eclipse the author's ability to write a truly engaging book!! Not sure this one is for me ... but I enjoyed your honest "optimisim" for a 3* read! :)
K.

message 6: by Mel (last edited Jun 17, 2010 07:34AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel But K., I was serious, wasn't trying to be sarcastic or anything.
A three star rating for a UF book isn't that bad is it? If I rate a PNR 3 stars it's mostly not that good. But for UF books 3 stars is actually quite okay, 4 is good and 5 is fantastic. (I hardly give out a 5-rating though.)

This one was interesting and showed promiss but there were some stuff which irked me (like the very elaborate descritions and the editing mistakes). Other than that it was really quite okay. I had no reason to rant. And I can rant in my reviews, you can check out the ones for Fantasy Lover and First Drop of Crimson.

I heard the serie gets fantastic so I'd advice you to try it. I'm reading books 2, 3 and 4 this month (at least: I'm planning to...).

Oh and when are you starting Lover Mine?

message 5: by Laura Lulu (last edited Jun 17, 2010 09:19AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laura Lulu Mel, I didn't realize you hadn't read these yet. Holy crap. My fave UF series ever. I rarely give out 5 stars too, but the 3rd and 4th books of this series got 5 stars from me. Love Kate. She is the best UF protagonist ever. Capable, smart, kick ass, funny, self-depreciating, snarky, awesome. And the supporting characters are the best. Love them all. You don't really get much of them until the 2nd book.

And I agree about giving 3 stars to UF. UF series are not the same as PNR series. A UF series is more a sum of all parts, where in a PNR series, each book stands more on it's own. Almost every UF series I read starts with a 3 star rating for the 1st book (if I liked it and plan on reading more), and if it's a good series, the star ratings gradually go up as the series goes on and we learn more and come to love the characters. You have to give a UF series more time to come to fruition--and it's usually worth the wait. :)

message 4: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Laura Lulu wrote: "You have to give a UF series more time to come to fruition--and it's usually worth the wait. :)..."

I completely agree with you! And most of my UF series' first books got 3-star ratings too.

I've been hearing lots of good things about Kate (and Curren) and I purchased the second in the series ages ago. I just never got to actually read it because I went into a PNR-mood a couple of months ago. I'll start the books (I have all four now) this month, also Darkfever :) Let's see if Kate can beat Dory as my favorite protagonist.

message 3: by Matthew (new) - added it

Matthew they didn't have it at chapters wtf? wow

message 2: by K. (new)

K. Mel: Aww - Mel, I see what you mean now. I didn't understand the whole "grading system" for ongoing UF series. Apparently they get a "kinder," if lower, star rating. I'm not a UF fan, so that information is also good to have about the author. Although I've read MANY genres for the last ... *cough* ... let's just say LOTS of years, right now I'm indulging my "romance" interest exclusively. Regardless ... enjoyed your review (and the ratings education ;)
K.

message 1: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel LOL, you're welcome. And start Lover Mine for pete's sake!