Kim's Reviews > Ellen Foster

Ellen Foster by Kaye Gibbons

Jun 06, 09

bookshelves: young-adult
Read in May, 2009, read count: 2

** spoiler alert ** Giving it two stars is generous.

I really didn't like it, but I had it on my reading list, so I forced myself to finish it. The last time I had read it was in high school, and that's where it should have stayed.

Reading it for the second time five years later, I was annoyed by the main character, how she acted towards her black friend, and how she acted in certain situations.

At one point there were drunk men in her house talking about how she was 'ripe' to have sex with. She hated living with her dad who was also a drunk, but stayed with him much longer than seemed necessary.

The book didn't seem to have much of a point to it at all, except at the end she comes to the conclusion that black people actually aren't terrible people.

I thought Ellen was a brat, frankly, and if you find yourself hating the main character from the start, the rest of the book is not going to get much better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ellen Foster.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zoie (new) - rated it 1 star

Zoie I like your review. I'm on chapter 7 and personally I can not stand Ellen - but its required reading, and I have a final on it - so I'm screwed. I hate how she is towards Scarletta. Personally I think it'd be much interesting if she was the main character in the book.

message 2: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim I hated that too, and I agree. I thought Scarletta and her family were much more likable than most of the rest of the characters, and if they were the main focus, the book would be a lot more tolerable!

message 3: by Zoie (new) - rated it 1 star

Zoie Hopefully there's some turn around in the next few chapters but I don't have high hopes. .