Lori (Hellian)'s Reviews > House of Suns

House of Suns by Alastair Reynolds

Jul 25, 09

Read in July, 2009

I've been having alot of trouble rating 3 and 4 stars in the past 2 months. I started out as 3 is actually a very good rating, while 4 was reserved for books I loved and won't forget, and 5 being masterpieces of books I want to reread - which is rare, life being short and too many good books out there!

So with this book I toughened up again, but am doubtful because I really like it, and I've been feeling the ending all day.

This is a strong book from Reynolds. Different from Revelation Space, Chasm City, etc because it is shorter, a much easier read, tighter, and very likable characters. I breezed through it - it moves at a perfect pace, and it's a bit of a mystery too so more in the vein of The Prefect. But much better, Reynolds hits his stride here.

3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read House of Suns.

Terence I'll be interested in your reactions to this one. Reynolds has disappointed me in his last few novels.

Lori (Hellian) So far I'm enjoying it very much, he seems to be back in his stride. Could be because he's not rehashing the worlds from Revelation Space etc. but onto a whole new direction.

Robert Anyone else notice his debt to Damien Hirst in this one?

message 4: by Lori (Hellian) (last edited Jul 25, 2009 05:06PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lori (Hellian) Since I never heard of him, no. But I've now googled and am intrigued!

Robert So, post-Googling, have you seen the connection?

Lori (Hellian) Not really, but I'm not that acquainted with him just from a brief survey. Tell me what you see, I'm intrigued.

While reading about him I did recognize his 9/11 quote that cause such a sensation. So that was interesting.