Elizabeth's Reviews > The Informers

The Informers by Bret Easton Ellis

Jun 05, 09

Read in May, 2009

Joe woke up and ordered a cheese omelet only to stare at it the entire time, confused about why he ordered it in the first place when he wasn't hungry, then he went to the movies but he didn't really pay attention to the first half of it, then this goth girl was looking at him funny and he really wanted to fuck her but doesn't, and he decided to visit a friend's house and so he drove there in his super expensive sports car and drank beer and afterward he went to a club and picked up a valley girl with whom he snorted coke with and then had sex with, and in the morning he woke up with a big hangover and so he drank some juice.

Wasn't that a really annoying run-on sentence? Unfortunately this book is chock-full of them. I kept hoping that the minutia of the characters' lives will somehow lead to or add up to a scathing commentary about society or the way some people live, but sadly, it does not. Ultimately, I felt like I was just following the Twitter accounts of several rich Southern Californians leading lives of debauchery. What a big disappointment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Informers.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike (new)

Mike Best concluding sentence ever!

Nilanjona Haha I actually HATED this book the first time I read it, but I re-read it a few years later and liked it. Have you read Rules or Less than Zero?

Elizabeth Eh, at this point I have no desire to re-read this book. It took quite a lot of effort finishing it in the first place. No, I have not read Rules or Less than Zero, but I have heard good things about both books. Plus, Sean Bateman sounds just as intriguing as his bro, so I will probably give Rules a go soon enough.