karen's Reviews > The Invention of Hugo Cabret

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick

Oct 18, 11

bookshelves: kiddiwinx, mark-harmon

DUE TO INTERNET ADVICE/ABUSE FROM A COMPLETE STRANGER, THIS REVIEW NOW CONFORMS TO GRAMMATICAL STANDARDS AND ALL THAT JAZZ, BUT IS STILL, AT THE END OF THE DAY, A BRIEF REVIEW OF A CHILDREN'S BOOK WITH. OH, BUT I STILL WON'T CAPITALIZE LETTERS. EXCEPT HERE. BECAUSE HERE, I AM SHOUTING TO BE HEARD IN EVERY TROLL CAVE IN THE LAND. RECOGNIZE.

this book represents a series of firsts: the first book i have ever borrowed from work. and the first book i read for my summer class on "children's literature". and the first 500 page book i have read in an hour. so - all good things. it's a fun book. i think i like that it is not quite a graphic novel and it is not quite a regular novel, but it is some in-between hybrid new monster of a book. it's more superficial than the arrival (which i would love to see in a 500 page version, please, shaun tan), but it's sweet and pretty and maybe i will get an A when it comes time to write my annotations for class. (see, i know capital letters exist...)

DOES THIS PLEASE YOU, STRANGER-DANGER? HAVE I PASSED THE INTERNET?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invention of Hugo Cabret.

Comments (showing 88-137)

message 137: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell What do you mean by borrow? Do you put it back on the shelves when you're done? I wonder if I ever bought a book a bookstore employee has read. I want an investigation!

message 136: by karen (new) - rated it 4 stars

karen no we are allowed to borrow hardcover books from work. we leave the dust jacket with the lady who lives in the basement and we can borrow a book for two weeks. but i never have in all my years of working there because i love to have have have. but i want going to pay 26 bux for a school book for babies.

message 135: by Greg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg dave you don't even want to know what customers in the store might have done with the book that you have bought, be thankful that you only get one that has been borrowed by an employee.

message 134: by karen (new) - rated it 4 stars

karen im clean. no jam hands here!

Jackie "the Librarian" Karen, do you think kids will understand the references to the beginning of movies, though? I suspect this is a book more for adults, or kids to "read" with an adult, than for kids.

message 132: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree, Jackie. I'm fascinated with this format, but while it's easy to initially hook a kid into reading it, barely any of them have loved it. I want another book like this that is better. Get to work, Selznick!

message 131: by karen (new) - rated it 4 stars

karen heres the thing, and i know i am going to surprise a ton of people with this, but: i know nothing about children. i have never really been around them and they mostly just make me nervous. so any comments i make are purely academic, and from observations made from far far away. but material for children is almost always mixed with stuff that is just for the adults. its more pronounced in movies, of course, because movies pretty much require an adults presence to get them in the theater, but its in books, too. its what makes a lot of books we read as children enjoyable even as an adult. kids dont seem to notice the jokes that are "not really for them" in the movies; they laugh because other people are laughing, and it becomes one experience even though there are bits they maybe dont understand. i dont think this book is doing anything sophisticated. the images are still striking, even though they are reference points a child will not have. it is effective enough as a story about a lonely boy trying to deal with guilt and the death of his father and the making of new human contacts blahdiblah. but again - i do not understand them. they are so small.

message 130: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen . i dont think this book is doing anything sophisticated. the images are still striking, even though they are reference points a child will not have. it is effective enough as a story about a lonely boy trying to deal with guilt and the death of his father and the making of new human contacts blahdiblah. but again - i do not understand them. they are so small.

This info helps your review, since I didn't know what it was about- I am now putting in on my to-read list for my boys. Thankee' much.

message 129: by karen (new) - rated it 4 stars

karen and old time-y movies!! and toys!

Ronyell I heard that this book was really good, so I might check it out sometime!!

message 127: by karen (new) - rated it 4 stars

karen and of course, there is to be a movie soon(ish)

Ronyell There will?! Wow!! That might be great to see!

message 125: by karen (new) - rated it 4 stars

karen i think it is going to be a whole 3-d shebang

message 124: by Ronyell (last edited Jun 03, 2010 10:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ronyell Yeah, lately they have been making mainly 3D movies. It's not that bad, but I would like to see more 2D movies again. The only 2D movie I have seen recently so far is The Princess and the Frog.

Ronyell Just read the book and I love it!!

message 122: by Sandy (new)

Sandy A 500-page book in an hour? Who do you think you are...Harriet Klausner?!?!?!

message 121: by karen (new) - rated it 4 stars

karen i am a robot, zoooommmmm

message 120: by Sarah (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah Interesting reading the comments before AND after reading this book! It is simple enough for a pre-teen to understand but has complexities some adults would appreciate. The book is lavishly illustrated, but content is brief (half the book is illustrations, and much of the text is surrounded by blank space), so I sort of hoped there was a sequel. Perhaps the upcoming (Nov. 23, 2011) movie will elaborate on the story!

Ronyell Sarah wrote: "Interesting reading the comments before AND after reading this book! It is simple enough for a pre-teen to understand but has complexities some adults would appreciate. The book is lavishly illust..."

Yeah! I hope that there is a sequel to this book too!! It was so awesome!!

message 118: by Aidan (new)

Aidan The first book I ever borrowed from work

message 117: by karen (new) - rated it 4 stars

karen yes.

message 116: by Sherry (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sherry If you have to write a book report, I don't think you will receive an A. Without good grammar your thoughts seem a jumbled mess.

message 115: by karen (new) - rated it 4 stars

karen i think i will be all right, but thanks, doll.

message 114: by Sparrow (new)

Sparrow Man, I got a bunch of bad grades on my book reports last month, too, karen. Internet teachers are tough.

message 113: by karen (last edited Oct 18, 2011 06:33PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

karen and mean! i didn't know a review i wrote ages ago (i must have changed something in it, because i wrote it wayyy before april) for a children's book with zero words in it would come under such scrutiny. mind you, i am not saying i am proud of this review as a shining example of my writing skills, but it just seems inconsiderate to go prowling the internet to deflate people's hopes and dreams, yeah?

message 112: by Sparrow (new)

Sparrow I know exactly what you mean. Nor was I proud of the reports I got bad grades on, but the internet is where I like to go to be praised, not ridiculed! I go to real life to be ridiculed!

message 111: by karen (new) - rated it 4 stars

karen people with private profiles are usually the bravest and the quickest to give unsolicited advice.

message 110: by Sparrow (new)

Sparrow Well, maybe they are trying to help us learn grammar through scorning us. I do not think that is a sound teaching method, but maybe it works for some people.

message 109: by Greg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Sherry is a very unpleasant person in real-life and her unpleasant nature has left her with nothing better to do than troll the internet looking for poor grammar. If you need to fill your time with scolding may I suggest my reviews, they are a treasure trove of atrocious grammar.

message 108: by Sparrow (new)

Sparrow Greg is more of a substance guy than a form guy.

message 107: by karen (new) - rated it 4 stars

karen i feel like i should go back and correct my grammar to make her feel like her snark had an effect on the world. but here it is a monument to the Time Before, when i hated to use my pinky finger to type and the apostrophe key was just wayyyy over there. but now my pinky is strong. so let's see what we can do

message 106: by karen (new) - rated it 4 stars

karen THERE.

message 105: by Sparrow (new)

Sparrow A+! But I am not picky.

message 104: by [deleted user] (new)

YOU WIN AT THE INTERNET.

message 103: by Joel (new)

Joel why do the trolls always have private profiles? it bugs me so much. i don't even want to troll them back, i just want to confirm my suspicion that they are sad.

message 102: by Joel (new)

Joel or possibly married to santa.

message 101: by William Thomas (new)

William Thomas had the same exact person do the same exact thing to me.

message 100: by Greg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg I want to read all of Sherry's 38 reviews. Open up your profile.

karen seriously??? but your reviews are never silly like mine! yours are all properly capitalized and punctuated. that boggles the mind.

message 98: by Greg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg Sherry, you should (if you haven't already) start a blog where you cut and paste reviews from the internet and then say snarky things about the grammar. It would be hilarious and you could feel like a self-righteous prig! Win-win!

message 97: by Sparrow (new)

Sparrow Joel wrote: "or possibly married to santa."

Umm. I don't think we need a public profile to confirm this.

message 96: by [deleted user] (new)

William Thomas wrote: "had the same exact person do the same exact thing to me."

Where?

message 95: by Thom (new)

Thom Dunn Who are you people and what are you talking about ?

karen i am karen

message 93: by Greg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg karen wrote: "i am karen"

A proper sentence has a period. How do you expect to be understood on the internets?

message 92: by [deleted user] (new)

I am Ceridwen.

What were we talking about?

karen i forgot. if only there were some sort of permanent record of our conversation...

message 90: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh no! It now has become obvious that I don't know how to reeeeaaad!! *dissolves into tears of shame*

message 89: by Sparrow (new)

Sparrow I am not actually a sparrow, but I play one on the internet so that I can say what I want and still maybe get a job someday.

Now I am talking about how Thom's is one of my favorite comments ever.

« previous 1 3