Tracey, librarian on strike's Reviews > The Hobbit

841949
Oct 02, 13

bookshelves: fantasy, the-professor
Read from May 01 to June 20, 2011

I guess I'll start my move with my most "like"d review.

My friends list will be seeing this message a lot over the next days and weeks. Sorry.

I have reviewed this book; the review can be found here, on Booklikes, and here, on my blog. However, I will no longer be posting reviews on Goodreads, due to its recent changes to terms of service and, far worse, the boneheaded and incomprehensible way it is proceeding with the new policy. Deleting content, almost randomly, and without warning (whatever they may have said) is wrong. Failing to provide a sitewide announcement is wrong. Failing to address users' very legitimate concern over the situation is wrong.

I'm not going to leave GR while I have good friends remaining here, but I will no longer perform librarian functions, nor will I post anything but links where I used to post reviews.

I will also be posting the gist of this message on my blog, on LibraryThing, on Booklikes, and anywhere else I can think of. And when I review for Netgalley from now on I will state that I no longer post reviews on GR, and why.

It may not affect the situation here – but in good conscience I can't do anything less.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hobbit.

05/02/2011 page 30
10.0% "I still know most of "Far over the Misty Mountains cold" by heart!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Milo Awesome review is still awesome. Sadly I can't like twice. =(

Mike Has to be in the top 5 best reviews ever on Goodreads!

message 5: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim You are the bomb, Tracey! I'm so glad you're my friend. Could you make a mixed tape of your greatest hits for me? Please?

Tracey, librarian on strike Aw shucks. Many thanks!

Kim, what you don't realize is that when I was hip-deep in LotR I wrote dozens of the things - let that be an incentive for (or warning against) reading the trilogy! (They won't make a bit of sense otherwise ...)

I did a parody of almost the entire book of The Sound of Music (featuring such hits as "How Do You Solve a Problem Like That Smeagol") ... I had far too much time on my hands.

Helen Wonderful! ***** - I for one, as a (repeat) reader of the trilogy would love to read your LOTR parodies .... (um, have you recorded "Smeagol^^") ...I'd like that mixed tape (Kim) too ...

Tracey, librarian on strike Helen wrote: "Wonderful! ***** - I for one, as a (repeat) reader of the trilogy would love to read your LOTR parodies .... (um, have you recorded "Smeagol^^") ...I'd like that mixed tape (Kim) too ..."

Heh - trust me, you don't want to hear me sing.

I stuck a lot of the nonsense I wrote over the years on a blog: http://micheldelvingarchives.wordpres...

Brace yourself; it was my main hobby for a while, so there's quite a bit. The Bounders' Music (the Middle-earthicized Sound of Music) is here.

message 9: by Susan (last edited Dec 15, 2012 01:02PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Susan Johnson This is the book my Irish book club is reading this month. I cut and pasted your review giving you full credit. I hope you don't mind. It was just tot great not to share and since it was so appropriate I had to do it. Let me know if you mind and I will take it down. Great job.

Tracey, librarian on strike I don't mind at all - I'm flattered, thank you!

Susan Johnson Tracey wrote: "I don't mind at all - I'm flattered, thank you!"
Tracey,
They just loved your review. It's getting some good comments. You did a bang up job.

Tracey, librarian on strike :D Do you have a link?

Helen I too passed it on to a friend (who had just seen The Hobbit movie) - she loved your song/poem & passed it on to a "nerd" (her word) friend - they both now have the second link ....... we are all enjoying it ♥

Tracey, librarian on strike Aw, I'm glad, thank you!

What did your friend think of the movie? I haven't heard good things...

Susan Johnson Tracey wrote: ":D Do you have a link?"

Tracey,
It's the Goodreads Ireland Book Club. I'm not sure how to link it. I'm not very computer literate.

Helen Tracey wrote: "Aw, I'm glad, thank you!

What did your friend think of the movie? I haven't heard good things..."

Overall, she loved it, beautifully shot, well cast. She said she could have lived without Radagast (an addition) and that one "huge scene on the mountain" felt Transformerish. That being said, she cannot wait for #2 ;>)

Tracey, librarian on strike I heard that Thranduil rides ... a moose. Between that, and the jackrabbit-drawn sledge of Radagast, and the article I read that mentioned the youngest dwarf has little ribbons in his beard that his mother tied before he left home ... AND the three movies and Legolas and Frodo and Radagast himself ... I just can't do it.

Tracey, librarian on strike Oh, and: "If you look closely at Bifur's hairline, you'll notice he has an axe wedged into his skull. In an interview with Empire Magazine actor William Kircher explained this new addition to the book's character:
"'I only speak in Dwarvish — It's because of the axe. But something happens… can't say any more. The backstory for my character is that once he was a reasonable okay guy but unfortunately he's turned into a bit of a maniac. He's a bit mentally challenged — only because of the axe. He's not thick, he's just got mental problems. He's totally unstable and in a fight he just goes insane, especially with the trolls.'"
I hate Peter Jackson.

Whispers from the Pirate's Ghost Whisper Okay, that's a wonderful review.

Tracey, librarian on strike Thank 'ee, Hugh!

Chris Great précis, thanks! Right the way to the end, liked especially "Auction ended, SB’s offended, reputation gone and won’t be mended".

Myself I'm a haiku fan:
Wizard at the door?
Twelve dwarves too? You’ll be telling
me a dragon’s next!

and even
Nasty Bagginses
stole the Precious, yess, and we
hates them forever!

A little underwhelmed, watching An Unexpected Journey in dribs and drabs...

Tracey, librarian on strike I can't watch that movie. It's disappointing, because the only thing Peter Jackson & Co do right is casting and I would have loved to see Martin Freeman, but what I've seen (giant jackrabbits, elves riding moose) makes me physically ill. If someone hands it to me free one day, or I happen to stumble on it on tv, I might watch it; I refuse to pay a penny for such garbage.

Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) I saw it for free and it was better than I expected, but my expectations were rock bottom anyway. Way too long and the Thorin angst got f*cking annoying after awhile. The Dwarf gathering at Bilbo's place went on way too long as well. Seemed like the whole movie was a bunch of unconnected scenes, and some dragged on forever (like the trolls).

And I'm beginning to think Cate Blanchett gets very high before she shoots any of her scenes.

The best scene IMO was the Riddle bit with Bilbo and Gollum.

Tracey, librarian on strike Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) wrote: "The best scene IMO was the Riddle bit with Bilbo and Gollum..."

Ah, but you just reminded me: that's reason #12 I can't go see the thing. They showed a little in a commercial, and according to Peter Bloody Jackson the riddle game was ... Bilbo's idea. I can grit my teeth and live with changes in an adaptation if they make sense. I just can't figure out why they would even bother changing this.

message 26: by Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) (last edited May 04, 2013 04:19AM) (new)

Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) I saw it as someone who's never read the book. It seemed like a natural scene that might have actually come from the book, apart from nearly everything else that had excess and cinema written all over it. So take that FWIW. I imagine fervent fans of a book would always find something to hate about an adaptation, like Gone With the Wind's detractors.

message 27: by Moira (new)

Moira Russell Hah!

message 28: by Moira (new)

Moira Russell Tracey wrote: "Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) wrote: "The best scene IMO was the Riddle bit with Bilbo and Gollum..."

Oh God, I can't see that movie either. I learned my lesson with the LOTR movies, but at least there was a reason to make those a trilogy beyond "marketing."

message 29: by Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) (last edited May 04, 2013 04:57AM) (new)

Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) Yeah, the padding in Hobbit 1 was so obvious. It was like PJ was doing fanfiction of his own stuff. If I'd done nothing but WATCH the movie, I'd have been incredibly bored. But I was multi-tasking and gave half-attention to both. :P

In my own experience, being a purist never ends well and misery is a guarantee. So best to not even suffer watching something beloved get trashed. Or watch it as a curiosity but not expect much, if anything.

message 30: by Tracey, librarian on strike (last edited May 04, 2013 12:15PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tracey, librarian on strike I'm not really a purist. I'm not stupid; I know changes have to be made for a book to make sense onscreen. But I expect a certain level of respect for the original work; Peter Jackson, despite his reputation as a "fan", has no respect. He did a wonderful job with "Fellowship" - the changes he made made sense - and then it was as though he lost his mind, to the point that now all I can think of when I see his face is "tar and feathers".

And now he wants to get his paws on Doctor Who.

Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) It's sad, because I really liked Heavenly Creatures but there's no way he could ever make movies like that again. He's definitely gone through a 'more is better' transformation and now it's simple gluttony. It *is* like he's doing fanfiction of the material, the canon-bending kind.

I'm not one way or another about Doctor Who beyond seeing one season of it, so the fan fallout from that should be pretty epic from an observer's viewpoint!