Dawn's Reviews > Love is a Mix Tape

Love is a Mix Tape by Rob Sheffield

Jun 10, 09

bookshelves: book-club-selection, own
Read in June, 2009

Love is a Mix Tape is an interesting memoir in that the style in which it is written follows mix tapes and the songs therein. Sheffield tells the story of meeting and falling in love with his wife, Renee, and then her death and his coping with it. Each chapter begins with the song list of a mix tape and the chapter discusses the circumstances in which that particular mix tape was made and used. For example, one of the chapters' song list was a mix tape that Renee would sew and work out to. One side was upbeat for her working out and the other side was more mellow for a good sewing ambiance (whatever that is).

I found Sheffield's voice endearing most of the time. I didn't feel like he was overly pompous or "song-dropping". I did get a little frustrated when I didn't know what songs or artists he was talking about, but as he didn't dwell on these, the frustration was bearable. I liked his quick wit and his choice of words. I was surprised at times to see the different variations of songs and artists he would put together on the same side of a mix tape. His music tastes didn't seem to me overly eclectic, he seems open to many types of music and musician.

I wonder how this book was put together, if he wrote it cover to cover, expecting that this was going to be the end result, or if he wrote it in little vignettes, and then decided to place the relevant pieces together into chapters and then a book. It would be interesting to know his process during the writing of the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love is a Mix Tape.