Laura's Reviews > The Last Continent

The Last Continent by Terry Pratchett

Jun 05, 09

bookshelves: adventure, fantasy, funny, pratchett

This was the first Terry Pratchett book I ever read. Formerly, as I have described in my review of Good Omens, I believed that Gaiman was the funny one and all of the good bits in Good Omens came from him. Then I stopped in Fred Meyer one day to buy a few things before flying home for Thanksgiving, and I saw The Last Continent. What the hell, I figured. I picked it up, expecting to confirm my belief that all of the good bits in Good Omens came from Gaiman. And how wrong I was!

I read this the next day, on my flight home. I spent the whole flight squirming in my seat, stuffing my hands practically into my mouth in order to stem the uncontrollable laughter. A few times I actually had to close the book and take deep breaths before diving back in. It's hilarious. And this isn't even Pratchett's best. I'm giving The Last Continent an "Amazing" because I owe my love of Pratchett to it, but there are others I'd recommend before this one. Don't get me wrong, there is lots to love here. I was a little lost at times because I had no background on any of the characters, so it's probably not the best choice for a first Pratchett. Still, it worked for me, right?

I don't have the book in front of me, so I can't quote, but the scene in which Rincewind makes beer soup is hands-down my favorite.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Continent.

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 4: by Scott (new)

Scott Which one would you read first? I may actually have time to read again some day, so best to be prepared.

Laura Well, that is a tough one. There is not really a "beginning" to the Discworld series, and I am not overly fond of the earliest books. He tends to pick up a group of characters and develop them over several books -- my favorites are the books about the Watch, starting with "Guards! Guards!" or "Men at Arms," but the biggest pleasure in reading those is seeing how the characters progress over multiple books. A couple of really good stand-alones are "Small Gods," "Going Postal," and "Monstrous Regiment;" I'd recommend any of those for your first.

message 2: by Scott (new)

Scott Wow, Going Postal is book 29 in the series!?! That's not a series, it's a franchise. But I put one on my to-read list. Thanks!

Laura No kidding! But it's really only loosely a series, in that all the books are set in the same place and feature many of the same characters. Let me know what you think!