Cynthia's Reviews > Krapp's Last Cassette: A Novel

Krapp's Last Cassette by Anne Argula

Apr 17, 10

bookshelves: couldn-t-finish, american-mysteries
Read in June, 2009

Good dialogue and an interesting concept.Not surprising, then, that this book was written by a veteran Hollywood screenwriter, Darryl Ponichsan. He's writing under a woman's name. And his hero is a female PI in Seattle who is going through menopause and has to stop every now and then as a hot flash rumbles through. She's funny, but she really seems more like an aging maleHollywood screenwriter disguised as a menopausal PI.
So here's the slightly unsettling thing with this book.It's written by a male screenwriter using the name of a female author and it's about a female PI who is hired by a male screenwriter to track down a woman and possibly a teen boy who might have created a publishing hoax along the lines of James Frey (the true story of a childhood of insane abuse). It makes you want to pat yourself down after you finish the book, to see if you're still there.
The author seems to be trying for a Raymond Chandler-meets-Janet Evanovich thing here, and he almost succeeds.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Krapp's Last Cassette.

Mary Really? Anne Argula is a man named Darryl Ponichsan? Sounds a bit like the novel, actually.

Cynthia I know, interesting right?

Mary Yeah--I was enjoying the whole hot flash thing. I don't have hot flashes like Quinn does, but I believe some women might. Now that I know it's a guy writing, it's sort of icky. I'm a little disappointed.

He does Washington State pretty well. The drive from Seattle to Walla Walla is a grim one, and not taken lightly. He kind of glosses over that, like it's a shorter trip than it truly is. I like to read PNW-set books. He has written some excellent screenplays--if he continues to write Quinn mysteries, I will probably seek them out. Thanks for replying, Cynthia!