Evanston Public Library's Reviews > The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 1: 1950-1952

The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 1 by Charles M. Schulz

Jun 05, 09

Read in June, 2009

Many of us have memories of Charles Schulz’s classic Peanuts characters, either from reading the comic strip in the daily paper as kids, or from the perennial airings of his televised holiday specials. But for most of us, Peanuts is nothing more than a memory from the distant past: comics, cartoons, kid’s stuff for which there is little time in our adult lives. This wonderful new series from Fantagraphics Books, however, aims to change that perception. Over the course of the 12 year project, the publisher will reissue all 17,897 strips drawn by Schulz over a 50 year period, including many which have never seen the light of day since their original appearances in the funny pages. Daring readers willing to take the plunge back into childhood and so called “low art” will be richly rewarded. The strip is rife with dark humor, insight, and a knowingly world weary sensibility that likely flies right over the head of most kids but will hit squarely home in the gut and the heart of returning adult readers. The (often strange) hilarity, (sometimes shocking) honesty, and (always stunning) consistency of the work collected here rightly makes the case for Charles Schulz as a major and (capital I) Important American writer and artist. (Andy R., Reader’s Services)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 1.