Tatiana's Reviews > Sloppy Firsts

Feb 15, 2010

bookshelves: 2010, ya
Recommended for: fans of Georgia Nicholson and such
Read from February 12 to 13, 2010

Update 4/21/2010 After reading the sequel and thinking about Jessica for a while, I don't think I like her that much any more. A little too much negativity and snobbishness. So take this review with a grain of salt.

I have no idea why I haven't read this book before, because I certainly heard about it a lot*. The synopsis just didn't sound that special I suppose, because on the surface, "Sloppy Firsts" is just your regular run-of-the-mill YA story about a smart 16-year old girl (Jessica Darling), her relationship with her best friend who is away, her parents and cheerleader so-called friends, her obsessions over boys, all in a diary format. How many times have I read this before? A million!

However, the difference here is the narrator. Jessica is clever, athletic, sarcastic, super-observant, prone to spaz attacks and lusty thoughts, but yet full of reason and self-respect. Her observations and comments about her family, friends and school-mates are funny, although often a little mean-spirited (I have to add this after a little pondering).

As an added bonus - there is a bad boy. To be honest, I am rather wary of those already, as they are just getting badder and badder, to an extent that they are simply jerks these days, but Marcus totally charmed the knickers off of me with his poetry, lip-nipping and extremely high IQ. And the fact that Jessica manages to push all THIS away with a firm hand just proves one more time why I love and identify with her so much.

The main negative about "Sloppy First" is its the setting-up-for-the-sequel ending. It would have been nice to have a more definite resolution.

But this complaint aside, "Sloppy Firsts" is a funny (in a sarcastic way) read which I won't hesitate to recommend. It's a bit raunchy for YA I think, it's written more like an adult book about teens, so don't give it to your 12-year olds. Otherwise, enjoy the ride!

*I know now - Jessica becomes a suckier and whinier person with each book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sloppy Firsts.

02/13/2010 page 280
93.96% "Love it!"

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-9 of 9) </span> <span class="smallText">(9 new)</span>

Heather Sold, loved the review. I think hell might have frozen over though cause.. you like a badboy!

Tatiana I am going to send this to you today with "Gone." I am keeping my fingers crossed you'll like it as much as I did:)

Heather I'm sure I will, I'm looking forward to reading it and having yet another series for us to share a larf over :)

Tatiana Thankfully, as far as I know, this one is complete with 5 books

Heather Good deal. I don't mind series as long as they aren't butchered.

Tatiana We'll have to see about that.

Heather I know. Hopefully, this series won't fall victim to greed.

message 8: by Hannah (last edited Feb 15, 2010 09:18AM) (new)

Hannah Sounds vair cute (but thanks for the raunch warning)!

Gah - enough with series books!

Kristen "Kirby" Liked the review. I'ma have to read this now.. Gotta love niceish bad boys. ;)