Ronda Tutt's Reviews > Lady of Avalon: Avalon Book 5

Lady of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley

Jan 13, 10

bookshelves: fantacy, historical-romance
Read in January, 2010

More great stories by MZB. I enjoyed reading the three parts in this book. However, I have to say that this book along with Priestess of Avalon should of been one book but in chronological order so the reader can enjoy and understand the story instead of going back and forth between the books.

Part I of this book is the direct sequel to "The Forest House" and I really enjoyed reading about Caillean's foster son (Eilan & Gaius Macellius son) Gawan and the Fairy Queens daughter Sienna's trials, but was very disappointed that Gawan (son of a 100 kings)and Sienna (Tiriki)lives didn't even get a chance once they finally got to be together but the story of their trials they went through was very interesting. Most importantly though was because of their deaths was the reasons behind for Caillean and The Fairy Queen to move Avalon into the mist between the Fairy World and the Human World. No man would be able to get to Avalon or even see it unless they were brought there by a priestess or priest that were trained and knew the spell to get there.

Part II Dierna is now The Lady of Avalon and she strives to keep Rome's British resourches for the country's own protection but in order to do so she must tie the admiral of the Britannic Fleet (Marcus Aurelius Musaeus Carausius)to an Avalon Priestess (Teleri - princess of the Durotriges). After the ritual, Carausius takes Teleri as his wife and he becomes the protector of Britannia and the Emperor of Britannia. I found myself disliking the ways the ways of how the Priestess and priest thought and the laws of Rome. In my personal opinion, Dierna and Carausiu should of been together from the beginning.

Part III This Part of the book is the prequel to the Mist of Avalon. Ana is the Lady of Avalon now. Her daughter Viviane is brought back to Avalon at the age of 14 after spending her young life among a foster family. Viviane and Ana's relationship is a love hate relationship but they learn to respect each other through time. Viviane becomes the sacrifice and is tied to Britannia by mating with Vortimer and leaves the life of Avalon to be with him, but Vortimer only lives for 3 or 4 months afterwards but he does gain a victory before his death. Vivianne returns to Avalon and learns she is pregnant and also that her mother Ana is pregnant again.

Ana had a total of 5 daughters but the two oldest died before Viviane came back to Avalon the first time. Now after she has returned, Ana gives birth to two daughters (Igraine and Morgause) who will become very important in the book Mist of Avalon.

Viviane loses her child after the birth and 3 months later her mother Ana dies giving birth to Morgause but Viviane's milk is still in and she takes Morgause to nurse. Viviane becomes Lady of Avalon and the Merlin is brought back by the chief druid Taliesin and Taliesin becomes the Merlin whom will play a big role in the book Mist of Avalon.

Over all, the stories were great to read and I enjoyed all of them.

Note: Lady of Avalon and Priestess of Avalon need to be read together in sections. The following link explains the chronology order of the Avalon Books.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lady of Avalon.

01/07/2010 page 20
01/08/2010 page 159 "I absolutely loved Part I of this book."
01/10/2010 page 317 "The story is wrapped around Carausius (the protector of Britian and Teleri (priestess from Avalon)"
show 1 hidden update…