Jaclyn's Reviews > A Confederacy of Dunces

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole

Jul 30, 09

bookshelves: gilmore-girls, 1001, pulitzer-prize, bbc, the-south, summer-09-challenge
Read in July, 2009

I did think this book was funny in parts, there were a few times that I found myself laughing out loud at the ridiculousness of a situation (I loved the attempted arrest and car crash scenes). And I never ceased to be amazed at how everything Ignatious touched ended up in disaster. However, I'm not sure I agree with the reviews on the back cover stating how hilarious this book is. I realize it was meant to be a satire, but I guess the characters seemed so realistic to me that I mostly found this book sad. I think this was really well written regarding the character development and found I could clearly picture all the players in the story and understand their situation quite well. I also really liked how everything came together in the end, with the exception of what happens to Ignatius himself (I thought that should have ended differently).

The problem for me was Ignatius is not someone you want to picture or know very well. He is totally disgusting. There is nothing about him that is likeable at all and although I realize that is the point, it still made the story hard to read. I just couldn't stand to hear about any more destruction caused by him and his warped, self-righteous, sense of right and wrong, or about his valve and yellow sheets.

I am glad I read this book because it's so popular and I wanted to see what all the hype was about. I do think Toole was a good writer and would have read more by him if he had written more. This just simply was not my style, Ignatius was too gross.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Confederacy of Dunces.

07/28/2009 page 293
74.37% "Ignatious is so gross..."