Raven's Reviews > Dumbing Us Down: The Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Education

Dumbing Us Down by John Taylor Gatto

Jun 05, 2009

bookshelves: education
Read in June, 2009

I gave this book 5 stars because although some people might not like his rhetorical style, I found many of his points compelling, thought-provoking, and timely. I think our public school system needs to take a careful look at itself and its products and be willing to consider options and changes "outside the box".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dumbing Us Down.

message 1: by Mandi Lee (new) - added it

Mandi Lee OHHH. . .I love a good controversy! Since I taught public school for 5 years, to me, this sounds like a fascinating read.

Raven Definitely controversial! So far, I agree with a lot of his arguments. He doesn't bring in any outside sources to back up his ideas and he writes in a way that almost compels you to agree with him--very bold and ardent rhetoric. His writing is dynamic and he is obviously passionate about the subject. He was Teacher of the Year twice in New York, so that's kind of interesting. Definitely lots of food for thought. I'd be interested to hear your take on it since you taught in the public school system.