Natalia's Reviews > True History of the Kelly Gang

291904
Jun 05, 09

Read in May, 2009

Meh.

Maybe this is more of a boy book, but I just couldn't really get into it. That might also have something to do with the fact that it's one of those stories where you already know how it's going to end. I absolutely *loved* Carey's "Oscar and Lucinda," but this one failed to enthrall me. I think one of the principle achievements of this book is Carey's ability to get so deeply into the voice of his character, which is impressive, but also the reason I didn't enjoy it as much. It's written in the first person, as if Ned Kelly were writing an autobiography of sorts, so it's "semi-literate." His particular patois was interesting and amusing at first, complete with incorrect conjugations ("It were v. cold and I thought it would never stop raining it were one of the most difficult treks" for example, that's not a quote from the text) but after a while the novelty wore off and I found it tiring at times.

Still, not a bad book by any stretch, it just didn't wow me the way I expect a Booker winner to do.

Meh.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read True History of the Kelly Gang.