LJ's Reviews > The Five People You Meet in Heaven

Sep 07, 07

bookshelves: novel, faith_philosophy_religion_spiritual, contemporary_post_1945
Read in January, 2004

Mitch Albom – 8th book
Eddie is a wounded war veteran, an old man who has lived, in his mind, an uninspired life. His job is fixing rides at a seaside amusement park. On his 83rd birthday, a tragic accident kills him as he tries to save a little girl from a falling cart. He awakes in the afterlife, where he learns that heaven is not a destination. It's a place where your life is explained to you by five people, some of whom you knew, others who may have been strangers. One by one, from childhood to soldier to old age, Eddie's five people revisit their connections to him on earth, illuminating the mysteries of his "meaningless" life, and revealing the haunting secret behind the eternal question: "Why was I here?"

This is a story which could have become either overly sentimental or preach-y. It did neither. It did remind me to pay attention to the impact people have on our lives, and we on theirs, every single day. I loved what this little book had to say.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Five People You Meet in Heaven.