Julie's Reviews > The Silenced

The Silenced by James DeVita

Jul 23, 09

bookshelves: 2009, dystopia
Read in June, 2009

When I first started reading this book, I wasn't sure if I would really get into it but I did. I became so enthralled by this world Devita had created and I had to read it to feel like I could understand more of it while trying to make sense of it all. I thought it had a great pace which made it entertaining to read as well.
Devita develops a dystopian society that through its own government seeks to alienate people and control huge aspects of their lives. From restricting interactions with the opposite sex to education, from reading and writing to private conversations to even the possibility of their thoughts, it seems, in order to develop perfection for their society and not necessarily for the individual.
Marena, a teenage girl, is the main character who aims to remember a life without the Zero Tolerance Party. The ZT's drastically altered her life when they took control and more than anything she doesn't want to forget what she can barely recall. So for this ability to keep a simple memory and for the hope to live a life without feeling controlled, it gives her courage to find a way to show resistance. Marena and her friends form "The White Rose" and vow that they will not be silenced...no matter what. It could be deadly for them, their friends and families, but it is their reality and not a game. But the future promises to be even worse if the ZT's are allowed to remain in power any longer over everything and everyone.
This novel is loosely based on the story of Sophie Scholl and the White Rose. Scholl and her friends find a way to defy the atrocities happening around them during the holocaust of WWII. I want to know more about them and their activism.
This is a tragically inspiring read but most of all, this novel caused me to think deeply.
I look forward to the next book by James Devita.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Silenced.

06/05/2009 page 20