CaliGirlRae's Reviews > Mirror Blue

Mirror Blue by Thomma Lyn Grindstaff

Jul 26, 2009

bookshelves: contemporary-romance, romance, older-man-younger-woman-romances
Recommended for: Contemporary romance & May/December Romance fans, people who want a good love story
Read in July, 2009 , read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** "He's her first chance at love. She's his last."

I love that tagline along with the theme and the blurb of Mirror Blue caught my eye. After finishing it, I really enjoyed reading the journey of web designer and aspiring writer Aphra (short for Aphrodite) and Isaac Lightfoot. I've heard more than a few readers mourning the death of straight contemporary romance but I've been coming across some goodies in the smaller press. Mirror Blue is definitely one.

Aphra has always looked up to Isaac Lightfoot, seeing the Vietnam vet as her hero. The book opens when she finally meets him at a book signing and sparks begin to fly. Soon Aphra finds herself redesigning Isaac's website and working alongside him. The feeling becomes mutual and the couple find themselves battling life, ex-wives, grown children and a dark turbulent past in order to find their happiness within each other.

Although Mirror Blue is a romance, it's written in a literary format. Ms. Grindstaff weaves the tale with flowing prose that exemplifies exactly how Aphra is feeling (added with a side of slight sarcasm). She doesn't shy away from showing the post traumatic stresses of war or the tension between finding love with someone who has a lot of baggage in their past. Aphra herself is a unique character who rides a motorcycle, reads classic books, isn't interested in having children and enjoys sharing her home with some very likable cats who know who rules the roost. Even her family members have their own personalities as does Isaac's friends who are also vets and I have to say I really loved the supporting cast here, especially Hieu and Red Hawk.

The only thing I found myself scratching my head on is towards the end. I'm not a huge fan of the 'big misunderstanding' in romance stories. The fact that Aphra went back and forth on wanting to be at the nexus of Isaac's universe (basically in his ex-wife's place who shared a son with him) and yet vehemently being against having children was a bit confusing. I did understand that she wanted to be in that special part of Isaac but a few things she inferred and pushed on Isaac could have been avoided if she would have just asked Isaac what was up. I did like that they talked afterward and put everything on the table about their feelings and fears along with the silly way they were acting. Sometimes I felt like Aphra was practically pushing Isaac back to his ex-wife and I'm glad he voiced this.

In any event, this was a great love story that was very well written. I'm going to keep an eye on this author because I'd love to read more of Ms. Grindstaff's works.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mirror Blue.

07/21/2009 page 13
7.34% "I really love this opening. :-)"
show 4 hidden updates…

message 1: by Thomma (new) - added it

Thomma Hi, Rae! Thank you so much for your review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed Mirror Blue!

message 2: by SheLove2Read (new)

SheLove2Read "but I've been coming across some goodies in the smaller press"
Absolutely Rae! I've ran across some great reads from smaller presses lately.

message 3: by CaliGirlRae (last edited Aug 01, 2009 11:37PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

CaliGirlRae My pleasure, Thomma! Thanks for writing such a wonderful story. I'm definitely going to be checking your site for any upcoming goodies. :-)

Sherri, so true! I'm finding a lot of good comfort re-reads there. Great place for such diverse voices.

Dorothy Anyone who reads Mirror Blue can't help but like it, if not fall in love with its characters. Yay, on such a neat review, KS. ((((hugs))))

CaliGirlRae I agree, Dorothy!