S. Dixon, DTR's Reviews > Something Borrowed

Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin

Jun 05, 09

Read in June, 2009

Let me start by saying that I will always remember this book, because I won it on goodreads. Yeah!

This book starts out with a story of a ten year old girl name Rachel, who moves to a cul de sac and becomes best friends with Darcy, the girl next door. Their friendship is built on sleepovers,phone calls, boys, and all the things that girls do together. One day while looking at a perpetual calendar, Rachel wondered what day her thirtieth birthday would fall on. She was happy that it fell on a Sunday. She told Darcy of her dream of being a lawyer, having a husband and two children. And being swept away by her husband on Saturday night for her birthday getaway. Darcy's who birthday fell on a Monday, just said " You know Rachel, who cares what day of the week we turn thirty on, we'll both be old by then. and birthdays don't matter when you get old." At the time Rachel just brushed it off and agreed with Darcy. Why? Because Darcy was the status quo. Darcy was always the lucky one. Her tan was always better,she didn't need braces,her hair was beautiful,and she always had the expensive,trendy clothes. With all of that going on, she didn't have problems getting the boys either. This is the state of their friendship for many years. Now Rachel is about to turn thiry and she remembers her fantasy. She is a lawyer, she has no children and no husband. But Darcy, who is throwing her a birthday party is engaged to Dex. Rachel meets Dex while she's in law school. He is everything she wants in a guy, but thinks that she isn't special enough so she introduces Dex to Darcy and now after seven years they are getting married in a couple of months. After a night of partying and drinking Darcy gets really wasted and Dex takes her home. Darcy forgets her purse at the party and Dex goes back to get it. Seeing everyone still having a good time he stays. Next thing you know he is in the elevator with Rachel going up to her apartment alone.
After her birthday night with Dex, Rachel has alot of decisions to make. Who is worthy of her love and friendship Darcy or Dex?
I love the twist and turns that e.giffin took me on emotionally. This is a great book to read at the beach or a car ride out to the Hamptons!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something Borrowed.